APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion 5 filter effects are distorting render?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake ChadwickMotion 5 filter effects are distorting render?
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 5:03:35 am

I am doing a motion project using only images, and putting effects on the images to make them more interesting to look at. There is music in the background that the effects are supposed to emulate.

Whenever I apply any kind of distorting filter to an image, the qualaty of the image suffers greatly. Render quality is on best, resolution is full and dynamic, images are high quality, background is set to a color and not transparent, graphics card is supported (ATI Radeon HD 4870 and HD 4890 both tested with same issues), and everything else is good that I know to check, but I can't get the effects to stop creating a fuzzy image.

Pictures of a sample issue - A simple flop filter ruins the quality of the image. This same distortion comes up any time any effect is applied.

Regular:

Flopped:

I should note that Flop is the only effect in the mix in the second image. Fun House is not active and Mirror is at 0% in the mix

I am not sure what the problem is, as this never happened to me using Motion 4. This is the second video I'm making, and the first one I made in Motion 4 used many of these same effects.

The first video I made is on YouTube, so you have an idea of what I'm doing:

This is my very first post in these forums, so I'm not sure what other information I should give you guys, but any help would be fantastic.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: Motion 5 filter effects are distorting render?
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 12:45:51 pm

What is the size of the image in that example? What is the size of the project?

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Blake ChadwickRe: Motion 5 filter effects are distorting render?
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:59:58 pm

The image in the pictures is 1024 x 768. The project is 1280 x 720.

The image is blown up a bit, but I don't think resolution is the problem; I have another image that is 1920 x 1080, and even at it's natural size there is a distortion when I apply any effect.

And that wouldn't explain why the example image would look fairly crisp without any effects on it, and then suddenly degrade with a simple filter.

Might it be a hardware issue, or rather some preference I have set?
I have recently cleared out my Motion files and app and did a reinstall, and this issue wasn't resolved that way either, so I don't think the issue would be in any preference files in my library.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:52:29 am

Send me your project and the image and I'll check it out on my machine

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:33:44 am

Here's the project file and all the images, along with the medley audio file. I've only put effects on the first two pictures.

4277_titanicmetaly.zip

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:48:42 am

The group that all your images are in was scaled up over 500%. So the filter is rasterizing the image, which is then getting scaled very larger. Setting the Artwork/Effects group back to 1005, then scaling the image to 100% fixed the issue. (without the filter, the scaled down image and the scaled up group cancel each other out).

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2012 at 5:28:17 am

That did it, worked like a charm.

Thank you Mark, for your time and efforts, you're awesome! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]