APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Fog behind objects!

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliot Beach
Fog behind objects!
on May 30, 2012 at 11:11:28 pm

Hi there,

I am very new to Motion and have not really used it at all, only doing a small amount of stabilization and that's it. FCP and color I am more advanced if that helps. I am trying to create a fog effect in one of my shots and need it to appear behind some objects in the foreground [See images bellow].

So I want the fog to be just above the water covering out the buildings and behind the trumpeter, pier and lamppost. One image in the original and the other is just a fog clip pulled over to give a rough idea for you.

I'm sure its possible to do so can anyone give me a rough idea, name or tutorial that could help me with this. Thanks

(I am posting this in after effects forum as well to see which program would work the best)

- Original

- Fog screen pulled over

Also, is it possible to correct the lens curvature to make the edges of the concrete completely straight?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Fog behind objects!
on May 31, 2012 at 2:51:08 pm

Is the camera moving?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Elliot Beach
on May 31, 2012 at 7:45:52 pm

No, its in a fixed position.

I managed to get quite far in AE as motion seems to be quite slow on my mac which was stressful. I basically made a fog effect using a noise effect then copied a couple times. Then I masked out the bottom part and the trumpeter. I cut the lamppost in Photoshop and layered that over the fog. Working pretty well and now just adjusting the fog effect/color to get the desired effect.

Does motion have a simpler/better method than this?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 1, 2012 at 4:18:05 pm

If you like AE and it is working for you then stick with it. You don't need to cut the lampost in Photoshop. You can add multiple masks to another video layer. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

AJ Robinson
on Jun 15, 2012 at 8:06:46 pm

If you want to have the fog behind the person and/or the boat all you have to do is duplicate the layer, and move one of the layers into a new group (if so desired). On the TOP MOST LAYER OR GROUP mask out the man and other objects you want to include. Now Turn off this layer or group. On the BOTTOM MOST LAYER OR GROUP add your fog. Now turn on you top layer, and now your man will be on top. If it looks to sharp, apply a little feather to the mask.

Hope this helps,

AJ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]