APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion 4 issues

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa KozaMotion 4 issues
by on May 30, 2012 at 1:52:24 pm

Hi, I am on a newer iMac, 12 gigs of ram, operating with Lion. My Motion 4, which I had on my macbook pro with no issues, is running OK...for a few minutes, then decides that it no longer wants to listen to me. When I go to view what I've created, it'll either play with just audio, and not move visually, or it'll just entirely freeze up. It does the same when I remove the audio, and it also do the same when I lessen my play range. I quit, come back, and it's fine for a bit.

I deleted my prefs, and I don't have the disc right now to reinstall. I was hoping for some other ideas in the settings, that I might have wrong. I've also been monitoring the Ram usage, and it'll build up to like 1.8 gigs, and that's when the troubles start happening. I did notice when trashing my prefs, that that particular file rested in my 2nd user area on my mac. I did a migrate when I got this system, and I'm wondering if this is a permissions or Qmaster thing....but I'm not sure of what exactly to search for on the internet to find my answer.

Thanks for any help to point me in the proper direction. I've got 3 commercials to get done! :)
Lisa

Return to posts index

Lisa KozaRe: Motion 4 issues
by on May 31, 2012 at 2:45:39 pm

I recreated my entire project in After Effects CS5....Apple Motion can kiss it. Maybe I'll even give Premiere another chance too. Been in FCStudio since 2006.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Motion 4 issues
by on May 31, 2012 at 3:00:41 pm

I think Motion and AE are both great programs. I use them both. I just started my first project on Adobe Premiere yesterday and that program has some really cool features.

Just like in AE there are ways to speed up the program. A good one is to change the Render Resolution to half or lower.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

by on May 31, 2012 at 3:10:02 pm

I used to use AE more often, but Motion became cool for a while. Not sure if it's Lion, or just my system...but it was being very buggy. I'm learning how to work with 3D camera space....and now I know how to do it in both, lol.

Return to posts index

Tom MilnerRe: Motion 4 issues
by on Jul 2, 2012 at 10:09:00 pm

I think it may be Lion. Since Apple has come out with a new version of FCP and Motion, they probably aren't too worried about incompatibility issues with the old version.

Motion 4 is behaving exactly as you describe, almost like it's running out of memory. I have a fairly complex animation that I'm working on, and it's been agony. I'm in the process of learning AE, but I chose to do this project in Motion, since I'm already comfortable with it. Now that appears to have been a mistake. Fortunately, the animation is only one minute long, and I've almost got it done.

I'm accelerating my switch to AE. I may eventually try the new FCP and Motion, but I think I'll wait until Mountain Lion comes out.

Regards,

Tom

Return to posts index

by on Jul 2, 2012 at 11:01:00 pm

Yep, I agree, I think it's Lion too. I am back in Motion, because of a previous file that I needed to work. I'm still having the same issues, but I find if I drop my Render down to bare minimums...it works slightly better. I still have to restart every few minutes.

I might try the new Motion, I have to read up on it though. Is it standalone?

Return to posts index

Tom MilnerRe: Motion 4 issues
by on Jul 3, 2012 at 11:40:22 am

I'm assuming that it is, but can't say for sure. It's probably optimized to work with Final Cut Pro X, but I would think that you could still export a self-contained movie. The good thing is that it's only $49 (or it was last time I checked).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]