APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Straddling the line: Nvidia GTX285

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex UdellStraddling the line: Nvidia GTX285
by on May 29, 2012 at 4:22:41 pm

Hi all...

We're adding another workstation here.
I'd like it to be suitable for both Motion and be useful for Adobe moving forward.

So I'm thinking about the NVidia GTX 285.

Useful for Adobe's playback engine and Motion.

Anyone using this card?

We're doing a lot of 720 HD in motion. Our other boxes have Radeon 4870's, which I am happy with, but unfortunately doesn't support Mercury in the Adobe suite.

Anyway, let me know what your experience with the 285 is.

Probably what I will recommend.

Thanks,

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Don SmithRe: Straddling the line: Nvidia GTX285
by on May 29, 2012 at 7:32:33 pm

I took the NVidia GTX285 out of my MacPro and replaced with ATI Radeon HD 5770 and got MUCH better FCPX performance. I wasn't working with Motion at the time and can't tell you about that, but with the NVidea card FCPX was running like a stubborn mule. Just switching back to FCPX from, say, Safari, took 20 to thirty seconds of the spinning pizza of death. After the change to the ATI card, the switch was instant. FCPX then performed like BUTTAH! Before, there was a delay for every click!

FWIW

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Straddling the line: Nvidia GTX285
by on May 29, 2012 at 7:36:51 pm

hmmm....

well....not really going down the fcpx road.
Perhaps Motion 5.

Alex

Return to posts index

Kerry ChartierRe: Straddling the line: Nvidia GTX285
by on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:10:53 pm

Hi Alex.

I have a 2010 12 core Mac Pro, with both the GTX285, and 5770 cards installed. The ATI card is in slot 1, so it's the boot card. Both FCP and Motion perform far better with the 5770 than the GTX card.

I use the GTX card primarily for 3D work with C4D, which looks for the fastest compatible Open GL card, regardless of where it's slotted. Of course, new drivers can change the landscape pretty quickly. If that ever happens.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2012 at 8:06:20 pm

Kerry, how do you come up with a third power cable to run both cards? The ATI card just needs one but the GTX card needs another two. I have two power cables in my Mac Pro.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2012 at 8:43:37 pm

Hi Don.

You have to add a splitter to one of the PCIE power connectors on your motherboard with a cable like this -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200935

You can now feed both cards.

The MP has a 1000 watt power supply, so plenty of headroom. In addition to the graphics cards, I also have a Black magic Intensity Extreme card in a third slot, and the machine just happily plows along. This machine is also part of my 3D rendering network, and it's typical to run for days (sometimes weeks) on end, all cores pushing 100%, and all PCI cards cooking. Things get a little warm (which is nice in the winter) but have never had any power or overheat issues for well over two years now.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:53:05 am

Very nice of you to go to the trouble to find the link. Thank you. I've ordered the cable.

My work Mac Pro had a GTX card in it which I took out when I discovered that FCPX would work much better with the ATI card. Now that I've learned from you how to put the GTX card back in along with the ATI card, I'm in heaven.

My workstation has two Apple 30" screens attached to it and the ATI card would run one of them at full res from it's one DVI Dual-Link connector, but the Mini Display port would not drive the other one except at a much lower resolution. My manager just HAPPENED to have an Apple adaptor that went from Mini Display to Dual-Link! Both 30" screens now are at full res off the ATI card.

Now I can have Open GL as at the same time. Life is good. So what that Apple didn't announce a new desktop!

Thank you very much.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2012 at 3:21:52 pm

Glad I could help. Hate to see a nice (and expensive) piece of hardware sit on a shelf!

Enjoy. -K

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2012 at 4:52:58 pm

Kerry, I meant to add that, like you, I'm working in C4D as well.

Except, not like you, I'm just a serious student of C4D at the moment trying to get up to speed. But, I love the program. It also helps that my son Chris (author of CSTools) is my guiding force. You may have seen Chris' demo of his camera fly-through plug-in at NAB on GreyScaleGorilla.com.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:09:18 pm

I've heard of CSTools, but haven't checked them out. I'll have a look. It's definitely handy having a family C4D expert to show you the ropes!

As far as CGI, I do mainly car stuff for the Detroit add agencies. Here's a link to one of the demos, if you're interested.

https://vimeo.com/33321361

Have fun in 3D land! Best, -K

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:26:58 pm

EXCELLENT work Kerry!

Chris not only does C4D but he's also a commercial director of national spots. He does all the Ram Truck commercials for example.

See http://sugartv.com/

Choose Chris Smith from the list of directors.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:58:37 pm

Thanks, Don.

Chris has a fabulous reel. I was a Senior Producer with JWT in Detroit, now known as "Team Detroit", and worked on the Ford broadcast business until just a few years ago. I'm sure your son and I know a lot of the same production people. If his rep hasn't made a trip to Detroit recently, he should have his stuff shopped to my old agency. A few of the key people are -

Toby Barlow, Executive CD
Brad Henson, CD, Ford Truck
Bob Rashid, Kelly Trudell, both Senior producers.
Ken Dumm, Producer

Hopefully he scores some work. Also, thanks for the CSTools link. If Chris is as good with this stuff as he is spot film work, it should be great!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 2:05:20 pm

Kerry.. I now have the power splitter and have installed the GTX card in my work Mac Pro and left the AIT5770 card as my 'boot' graphics card. The GTX has nothing attached to it other than the power splitter cable.

I now have C4D running and under 'OpenGL Capabilities' it lists only the ATI Radeon HD 5770 OpenGL Engine. No mention of the GTX card. At the bottom of that window it says 'Your graphics card has all necessary extensions for Enghanced OpenGL'.

One, I'm surprised that the ATI does OpenGL (along with OpenCL), and two, I'm surprised that the GTX does not seem to be recognized by C4D.

I'm not complaining about the performance of C4D, I just thought it was using the CPU only and that the GTX card would help.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 2:11:51 pm

Kerry.. Got the GTX installed on my work Mac Pro. The ATI card remains the 'boot' graphics card.

However, C4D reports that the ATI card has OpenGL and at the bottom it reports that I have all necessary extensions to enable OpenGL.

No mention of the GTX card.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 2:25:25 pm

Hi Don.

Strange that your system isn't showing the Nvidia card in C4D. I wonder if it's a preferences or version issue. I also have monitors attached to all my cards, which might also make a difference. You may want to go to Nvidia's site and download the latest drivers, and attach a temp monitor to help troubleshoot.

Even though both cards are OCL and OGL capable, the Nvidia is the better of the two for C4D, just as the ATI card is for Motion and FCP. It's worth trying to get it going properly.

Here's a look at what C4D shows on my system-

Return to posts index

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 2:50:57 pm

Even after downloading the NVidea driver for the GTX285 for Lion, restarting, loading the latest CUDA driver, C4D still shows only the ATI card. The GTX card is listed in the expanded About This Mac so its functioning.

It's really a intellectual puzzle at this point but I would like to find out why so I can migrate my solution to the other two Mac Pro machines in my shop.

If you would like to take this discussion off-list, write to me don at the domain of newsvideo. Dot com

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 2:27:07 pm

Kerry.. I got the power splitter and have put the GTX card into my work Mac Pro along side the ATI, which remains as the 'boot' graphics card.

C4D only lists the ATI card as the OpenGL accelerator and also says at the bottom that all necessary extensions are loaded.

Do I need to go out and find drivers for the GTX card? I was assuming (the Army tried to teach me not to do that) that the drivers were built-in to OS X because the card is marketed for the Mac pro by Apple.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:40:53 pm

Kerry.. Here's Chris demo'ing his AutoCam plug-in for C4D. You may like this because you can move your camera without keyframes:

http://vimeopro.com/cineversity/nab2012/video/41430265

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jacob FennRe: Straddling the line: Nvidia GTX285
by on Jul 6, 2012 at 6:33:26 pm

Don, just curious if you resolved your issue with the 5770 and 285 running simultaneously. I'm also going to be running the 285 for its CUDA capabilities, but using the 5770 to drive the GUI in Resolve and for better system performance in other areas so just wanted to check in. Did your issue end up being system related or was it specific to C4D not recognizing the card?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2012 at 11:02:27 pm

Hey Jacob.

You have to add a splitter to one of the PCIE power connectors on your motherboard with a cable like this -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200935

You can now feed both cards.

If you position the ATI card in slot 1, Final cup and Motion will use it, and C4D will use the faster of the 2 cards (Nvidia) for it's OpenGL functions, regardless of where the cards are slotted. You must have a display connected to each card for your system to use them properly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]