APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Problem with transparency

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
João Cunha
Problem with transparency
on May 24, 2012 at 3:47:59 pm

Hi.

I'm having a BIG problem in Motion 5 when I attempt to export something with transparency. I used a particle emmiter to make the effect you can see.
When I produce the effect in Motion, using a transparent background (only black for Motion visualization) I get the following previewing inside Motion:

Then, WHATEVER encoding format I choose, despite to have, or not, the transparency, I get this result:

As you can see, I completely lost those white stripes that were behind my sparkles.

If I add manually a black background to the scene, inside Motion, I get this (problem solved but I really need the effect completely transparent but maintaining those white bars):

For what I see, there is a problem with Motion 5 dealing alpha channels. I've already tried in the "Media" tab to change the alpha type in every element that causes that effect and still these are the results. I've also tried (despite the black background) Pro Res 422, 4444, 422 HQ, H-264, PNG sequence, etc...

What can I do to export, for example, a PNG sequence that contains everything I have and also those white marks behind the effect? I've also tried to export the PNG's like this and go to Photoshop and add a black background. As I suspected, the white bars were gone...
I really don't think I'm missing any "combination" in the export settings. Shouldn't this work without problems?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Problem with transparency
on May 24, 2012 at 4:05:00 pm

The issue may be in how your are compositing your resulting export - in whatever application you are using, change the alpha interpretation to premultiplied, that should restore those areas. What exactly is your workflow?

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

João Cunha
on May 24, 2012 at 4:16:26 pm

Thank you very much for the reply Mark.

At the moment I'm just creating ALL the effect in Motion 5. Then I'm just using the Share -> Export Movie to see the result and that's what I get. I'm using Apple Pro Res 4444 with a tick in "Premultiply Alpha". I've already tried to uncheck it and the result is even worse.

I've also thought that it could be a composition problem. However, when I add the black background to the scene, the problem gets resolved. That led me to think that the result Motion was showing me was not real. I'm beginning to think that what I see when I export transparent is the real result and when I see it inside Motion with a black background, he's making some kind of multiply and showing me those white stripes way more intense.

Don't know what to do next...

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on May 24, 2012 at 4:32:56 pm

The fact that adding the black background back in solves the problem is what tells me there is no problem. If you are exporting with alpha and just looking at that exported movie, you aren't seeing the true result - for that, you would need to composite that movie onto something. So what is in Motion is accurate, but not what you export until it's composited. Still not sure why you are exporting with alpha - what are you planning to do with the movie? That is the true test.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

João Cunha
on May 24, 2012 at 5:22:41 pm

Thank you again for the reply Mark.

I've already picked up one of the transparent frames of the PNG sequence and dropped it into Photoshop. I added a black background and the result is the same. That white glow is gone. Shouldn't this be enough?
I've already left work so I don't have the project with me. Can I send it to you in the morning so that you could see if you can make this happen?
If you have any other tip I'll try it before sending the Motion project to you.

Thank you for the help so far.

Return to posts index

João Cunha
on May 25, 2012 at 9:39:42 am

Here is my project. I can't find out where I'm going wrong. I've already tried to export ONLY the alpha channel from Motion and when I open a frame of that in Photoshop I think that the alpha channel is not that accurate to the result that I see in Motion.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25316926/effect.motn
(use "Save Linked File As" please)

Thank you.

Return to posts index

João Cunha
on May 28, 2012 at 3:30:06 pm

Here is my project. I can't find out where I'm going wrong. I've already tried to export ONLY the alpha channel from Motion and when I open a frame of that in Photoshop I think that the alpha channel is not that accurate to the result that I see in Motion.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25316926/effect.motn
(use "Save Linked File As" please)

Thank you.

A little help please :x?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]