APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Create a strobe light in Apple Motion 5

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy BroweCreate a strobe light in Apple Motion 5
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:13:14 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Apple Motion so I apologize if this sounds like a beginner's question, but does anyone know how to create a strobe light in Motion 5?

Here's what I've done so far: I have turned all of my layers into 3D, added a point light to the scene, placed it where I wanted in 3D space and then tried to apply the strobe behavior to the light. Of course (why am I not surprised), Motion won't allow it.

Essentially, I am trying to build a scene with my talent inside of a fake movie theater to give it the old school effect that the light from the projection screen is bouncing off of their bodies.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I could always just keyframe it by hand but that would just be too much of a pain in the ass. I was kind of hoping there would be an easier way out. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance.

- Jeremy

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Create a strobe light in Apple Motion 5
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:25:51 pm

Apply an Oscillate behavior to the light's Intensity parameter and adjust the Amplitude (how bright and dark the strobe gets) and the Speed to suit your project.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy BroweRe: Create a strobe light in Apple Motion 5
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:55:10 pm

Thanks so much for the solution Simon. I would have NEVER thought of that. :-)

By chance, do you have a suggestion for the parameters (Phase/Amplitude/Speed)?

I don't know if this is a factor or not, but I'm working HD 720p 29.97 fps footage.

- Jeremy

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Create a strobe light in Apple Motion 5
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 4:23:31 pm

Try using about 100 for the Amplitude - the light doesn't go all the way off which is a bit more naturalistic I think. Higher values will turn it off completely if that's what you prefer.

Have a look at about 300 for the Speed value which looks fairly "disco" (!). The slider only goes up to 100 but you can type in a larger value (or scroll within the number field itself) to get high values than that.

Don't bother too much about the Phase - that will just determine whether the strobe start on or off.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]