APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Displacement?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sander Goldman
Displacement?
on Apr 15, 2012 at 9:49:09 pm

Could somebody please explain to me how the "displacement" and "bump map"filters work in motion. I've tried many times in many different ways but i just cant get either of them to work for me. Is it possible to put an animated shape in the source? Which layer should the filter be applied to? I'm just very confused in general about these filters and it would fantastic if somebody just explained the basics to me.
Please help!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Displacement?
on Apr 16, 2012 at 1:23:40 pm

Both of these work in a similar way - but be warned, they are quite limited.

Apply the filter to the layer you want to affect. Drag another image layer into the source well of the filter and the effect should now work. (You'll want to turn off the visibility of the source layer.)

The areas of the source image with the highest luminance will distort the destination image the most, the closer they values are to black the less influence they will have.

Some things to note though.

The position and scaling of the source image cannot be adjusted and will be assumed to be full frame (or if smaller than the canvas size will default to the bottom left corner (I don't know why).

If you're using a shape rather than a bitmapped image then the edges of the shape will be the only thing affecting the bump/displace so it's not really a very useful thing to do.

The displace filter looks more like a "glass" effect and you will get much more distortion from the bump map. Note also that the bump map filter pushes the image away along a chosen axis depending on the strength of the amount slider.

I would say neither effect give you the sort of result you might be used to from other applications.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Sander Goldman
on Apr 17, 2012 at 11:18:31 am

Thanks. thats very helpful. Do you know if there are any filters that would get the same kind of effect as a displacement in after effects? Where you can use an animated shape or video as a source?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:17:41 pm

I forgot to mention the Glass Distortion filter which does give you a bit more control - it's not great though.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]