APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Any tips for making stills look more like locked-off video?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Any tips for making stills look more like locked-off video?
on Apr 10, 2012 at 10:36:01 am

I want to incorporate some very high-res stills of empty rooms in a derelict house into a PAL SD project, but since still photos have a distinctly different "feel" to still video, I want to make them to look as much as possible as if they are actually sourced from video so that they better match the surrounding video footage. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking of some *very* subtle 3D particle effects combined with a slight camera move to suggest dust floating in the atmosphere. The fact that the stills are so high-res means that there is a lot of scope for repositioning them within the SD frame, but the tone of the piece demands subtlety rather than dramatic/dynamic camera moves.

Any advice gratefully received :)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Any tips for making stills look more like locked-off video?
on Apr 10, 2012 at 2:08:53 pm

The two most obVIous things which you don't mention (but you possibly know already) are a) to blur the photos as they are almost certainly way too sharp in relation to your video footage, and b) to add noise or grain, as your video will have plenty and it's the one thing the eye picks up on immediately if it's missing. It only needs to be sutble but it just has to be there.

Another trick which probably isn't right for you here give that you talk about a locked-off shot is to give it a hand held look. By far the nicest and most believable way of achieving this is to take any video camera (your phone will do if necessary) and (hand held) shoot a decent duration of an easily trackable image. Then all you need to do is add that new footage as a layer, motion track it to extract its movement and then link the still to that tracked movement (obviously hiding the refernce video in the process).

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 10, 2012 at 2:27:57 pm

Make the photo 3D and in addition to a slight move add rotation. That creates a really cool look. Or you can kick it up a notch and separate the photo into layers and separate their Z position. This will create a much more realistic move but is much more work. To see what I'm talking about check out this 2K commercial I did in Motion.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Apr 13, 2012 at 1:02:32 pm

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 13, 2012 at 3:04:56 pm

Best of luck!

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]