APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Keyframing in Motion question

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
xavier pilsudksiKeyframing in Motion question
by on Mar 17, 2012 at 2:33:33 am

How / can I add keyframes manually in Motion?
My problem is that I still haven't figured out the following:
If I want to do the following:
Let's take a shape:
At T 0s (T: time) it is scaled at 100
At T 2s I want the box to jump to scale 110
Then I want it to stay at scale 110 for another 3s
And at T5 I want it to jump to scale 150.

So far when I place keyframes in motion, the "growth" is constant between T0-T2, T2-T5. The shape's scale increasing progressively.

It happens because of the keyframing.
I need to be able to ad a keyframe manually to the scale stays the same between T3-T5 for example...

Help?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Don EitnerRe: Keyframing in Motion question
by on Mar 17, 2012 at 6:29:01 am

I _believe_ I know the answer to this -- at least I have _a_ solution, but maybe there are other solutions.

Let's say your T0 is 0 seconds 0 frames, your T2 is 2 seconds 0 frames, T5 is 5 seconds 0 frames, etc. Let's also assume you are using 30fps.

You would place one keyframe at T0 (0s), another at T2 - 1 frame (i.e. 1s:29f) with the same settings. Place a third keyframe at T2 (2s:0f) and a fourth at T5 - 1 frame (4s:29f) both with 110% scale. Now place a fifth keyframe at T5 with 150% scale.

Since the changes in scale occur over the span of just one frame, they will appear to be instantaneous.

Return to posts index

xavier pilsudksiRe: Keyframing in Motion question
by on Mar 17, 2012 at 7:24:28 pm

I agree.
This is what we do in FCP for example. But Motion doesn't let you do that since you have to "record" the animation path. You can't stop a frame before and ad a keyframe....

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Keyframing in Motion question
by on Mar 17, 2012 at 11:11:51 am

The way to get your animation to jump from one state to another rather than smoothly interpolating is as follows:

Open up the Keyframe Editor. Select all the keyframes you want to affect. Right click and select Interpolation/Constant.

Constant interpolation will create an instant change from one keyframe to another.

Don's suggestion will work if you set the interpolation to Linear but it's more work to add the extra keyframes.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Don EitnerRe: Keyframing in Motion question
by on Mar 17, 2012 at 4:56:41 pm

That does seem much easier. Thank you for the tip, I didn't know you could do that.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 17, 2012 at 7:28:17 pm

I can't try today but i"ll do on Monday.
If it works it is definitelly helpful but then it means Motion isn't good at managing keyframing.
But Motion is about "behaviors" anyway.
Thanks Simon

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: Keyframing in Motion question
by on Mar 17, 2012 at 7:59:45 pm

Can you explain what you mean about "not good at managing keyframes"? I don't have any such issues?

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

by on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:15:19 pm

I haven't a chance yet to apply Simon's advice but so far I've never been able to ad a keyframe easily.
Example:
I put a glow effect on a shot
No glow for the first 2 sec
then Glow comes in and I set the value let's say "100"
then after 4 sec i want the Glow value to jump to 200.

And I am not able to do it...
The value doesn't stay at 100 to jump to 200
It increases from 100 to 200 over the period of time that is between the 2 keyframes.

I like Motion so I am hoping I could easily ad a keyframe, set a value for the effect, then move on to another point, etc... Then I could adjust the values by going back to the keyframe...

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: Keyframing in Motion question
by on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:30:40 pm

That's exactly how keyframes are supposed to work. You set different values at two different points in time, and Motion interpolates between them to create animation. If you want an instantaneous jump in value from one frame to the next, you could set the two keyframes a frame apart from each other, or as has been suggested, simply change the interpolation to Constant. All this is explained well in the Motion help doc, and works the same as keyframing in other applications.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

by on Mar 18, 2012 at 6:29:21 pm

Thanks. Sounds like a solved issue! Need to try on Monday.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]