APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Camera zoom-out

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
João Cunha
Camera zoom-out
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:35:11 am

Hi.

I've got a scene where 3 planes make the set. All of them are set apart from each other so if I try to scale the camera, increase the angle of view, etc, I'll always get the perspective distortion and so the borders of the set are revealed.

What I want to do is a zoom-out so that the rest of the set is revealed. The only problem is that it can't make the zoom-out from the center of the camera. It has to be from a corner so that it doesn't reveal the borders of the set. Imagine this as a level of a game. Your character starts at a corner and has a set to go through. If it goes up high in the set I've got to zoom-out to keep it in frame. I've got a scene of 1024x768 but the 3 layers that make the set have the double in height and width (so 2048x1536).

Should I just forget the set apart from the layers and make them all 2D, make the zoom with the camera scale and simulate the parallax effect with layer sliding?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Camera zoom-out
on Mar 8, 2012 at 1:49:46 pm

Try using the Move behavior in order move the camera exactly where you want. Or, for more flexibility, a Framing behavior with a null object (e.g., a turned off rectangle shape).

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

João Cunha
on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:42:17 am

Hi Mark. Thank you for the help again. I've just posted this on Apple Community and maybe it can help you to understand my problem:

Hi.

I'm using Motion 4 and I'm trying to achieve a camera zoom-out with some conditions. Here's a image to explain the size and the type of zoom I'm looking for. My background images have 3072x1536 pixels and my canvas in Motion is defined to be 1024x768 pixels.
As you can see by the picture, I want to scale my camera view but I only want to do it through the upper right diagonal so that my bottom left point stays at the same place.
I've already tried to change the camera between framing and viewpoint but If I got my layers appart in 3D space they all start to phase out because of the perspective. Considering a flat image on the background, how can I scale/zoom-out my camera to do the effect on the image?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25316926/canvas_zoom.jpg

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:17:43 pm

Had an idea but it doesn't work.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:20:28 pm

OK, so after a few false starts here is what I would suggest, which works pretty well.

In your camera properties, link the X and Y position values to the Z position, making sure to set the scale paramters of the link behaviors to .414. Note that you won't be able to see that your'e entered this value as the display only allows for two decimal places of accuracy, but you will find that you can actually enter these more precise numbers.

Now when you animate the Z position of the camera, the bottom left hand corner of your scene will stay locked to the bottom left hand corner of the frame. The scale offset takes care of keeping everything in position.

Note that this is assuming a 45 degree angle of view for the camera - different values will require different scale offsets to keep the same result. I'm not entirely sure what the maths is here so you'll need to experiment - but the principle works.

If you want to animate the camera in the X and Y axes as well, you obviously can't now do this directly because these position values are linked to the Z position, but it should be OK to put the camera in a group and then animate the position of the group.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]