APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Roller Coaster Text

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucky HaskinsRoller Coaster Text
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:14:20 pm

Hey Kids...

I am trying to create a motion path like the ramp on a roller coaster (think bell curve). I need to have the word "rides" follow the path and come to a stop at a certain point on screen.

I get how to do a motion path...what I can't figure out is how to have each letter follow the path independently with each letter acting like a car on a roller coaster (so in the bell curve analogy at a point in the motion path R & I would be on the upslope, D at the apex and E & S on the downslope).

Thanks

LH

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: Roller Coaster Text
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:24:46 pm

That's not how to do it. What you need to do instead is, in the Text Inspector, in the last pane, set the Layout to Path. Now double-click the text. You'll see an line underneath with control points. You can make it in any shape you like. Option-click to add control points. Right-click on them to make them smooth or linear. Adjust the Bezier handles. To animate the text along the path, keyframe the Path Offset parameter (in the same Inspector pane).

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Lucky HaskinsRe: Roller Coaster Text
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:36:04 pm

Mark...

I can say with absolute confidence that no matter what way I think it should be done in Motion I'll be wrong about 70% of the time. Thanks for the course correction.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:48:50 pm

That percentage is certain to come down over time! I know exactly what you mean, though!

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Lucky HaskinsRe: Roller Coaster Text
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 11:50:58 pm

Even though I am still wiggling my way through the new interface, your "instructions" worked flawlessly. I have another question though, I am on and early 2009 Mac Pro with a stock video card. The performance of Motion 5 is on the slow side...and when I add a filter like Volumetrix is slows to molasses.

If I thought there was a new killer Mac Pro on the way soon I would wait...but absent that I assume I need to swap out the stock card with an ATI Radeon HD 5870 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or Early 2009) at the low low price of $449. Yes?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 8, 2012 at 12:05:38 am

That would help quite a bit - more RAM helps too but the card is key.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Don EitnerRe: Roller Coaster Text
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 12:59:09 am

Indeed, I'm on a 2010 Mac Pro quad-core with the Radeon 5770 and I find the performance of Motion 5 to be quite good.

Return to posts index

Steven PamRe: Roller Coaster Text
by on Mar 12, 2012 at 7:10:12 am

Thanks to tutorials both here on CC and on Lynda.com, I have managed to get text to move along a path, but I'm stuck with trying to do something specific.
Imagine a path shaped like an "L", except the bottom of the L is wavy. Getting my text block (up to 3 lines) to move in from the right is fine, but next I want it to move up vertically, while the text block stays aligned upright, i.e. I only want it to turn the corner in movement, not in orientation.
Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Roller Coaster Text
by on Mar 12, 2012 at 9:37:49 am

[Steven Pam] "Getting my text block (up to 3 lines) to move in from the right is fine, but next I want it to move up vertically, while the text block stays aligned upright, i.e. I only want it to turn the corner in movement, not in orientation."

If this is what you want, you want to be using the Motion Path behavior rather than the Text Layout option that Mark described.

Apply the bahavior to your text object and select Geometry as the path shape. Animate the Offset parameter to get your movement.

This way your whole text block will keep its orientation.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Roller Coaster Text
by on Mar 12, 2012 at 11:03:15 am

I should add that what I've described involves using a separate path and using that by selecting Geometry as the path shape, but you can of course use the same technique of editing the existing spline for the Motion Path behavior as Mark described in the Text layout method.

I think it's just a bit easier to have a separate shape that you can draw easily rather than having to add and edit points to make the path.

But it's very much a matter of choice how you prefer to work.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]