APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

hi there!

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete Griffin
hi there!
on Mar 5, 2012 at 8:16:47 pm

just started using motion 4 and am looking for a bit of advice here and there, thought id register here... is it ok if i ask a few questions ?

cheers,

pete

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: hi there!
on Mar 5, 2012 at 8:35:55 pm

That is what we are here for. Fire the questions away.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Pete Griffin
on Mar 5, 2012 at 9:01:42 pm

Hi Stephen,

So, im trying to make a DVD.. my first one ever.

I planning to create the basics in I Movie, then exporting into motion for some fancy effects, then create and burn using IDVD.

Trouble im having relates to choosing correct dimensions of files, and how it changes in the import - export process in Imovie and Motion.

So, i choose PAL DV 16.9 in i movie, and import using the same settings on Motion.. but the screen is then 4x3 .. ie. 720 x 568...

I then export, and the image has indeed gone to 4.3... meaning id need to alter the image in motion to make it widescreen again ... but the problem i have then is the letterboxing of the image - (meaning black space on top and bottom of the image) And then my text loses it's sharpness

Can you help me out with the best settings etc?

much obliged

Pete

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 5, 2012 at 10:53:49 pm

In Motion go to the Project Properties. Your Preset is PAL DV. Go to Pixel Aspect Ratio and choose PAL D!/DV Anamorphic. The Anamorphic setting will make it 16x9 and not 4:3. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Pete Griffin
on Mar 6, 2012 at 9:38:06 am

So, i have motion 4... Ill set to PAL DV.. which says.... Use this preset for PAL DV and MiniDV projects, 720x576 resolution.

Duration: 250 frames

if i import a file from imovie into motion using these settings, the quicktime file is morphed from 16.9 (my export settings from imovie, to the 4.3 aspect ratio i selected in motion.

will the 4.3 image i see on screen be auto stretched by the DVD player i play the disc on to be 16.9?

Do i not need to worry about the fact the image is squashed on screen?

Secondly,

Im using photoshop to create a background which i want to bring into imovie, then into motion.

What are the ideal settings in photoshop for this?

The screen shot attached show the current settings i am using.. however.. im confused, as the image i create in photoshop appears on screen as 16x9, but imports into i movie as 720 x 576..

should i bring in the png. as 1050 x 576 ? to create the widescreen background that will be morphed in 4.3 in motion, but re stretched to the correct size by the DVD player?

thanks for the help! I need to try and get my head around this

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 6, 2012 at 7:48:09 pm

When you changed the Motion project to Anamorphic did it look correct?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Pete Griffin
on Mar 7, 2012 at 7:08:24 am

Im not sure where the setting for this is.. this might be a crucial detail! where would i find it ?

thanks again

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 7, 2012 at 3:54:03 pm

Go to Edit, Project Properties. Click on your Pixel Aspect Ratio option. Choose Pal D1/DV Anamorphic.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]