APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Blur in behavior doesn't transition off smoothly.

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lansdell
Blur in behavior doesn't transition off smoothly.
on Feb 20, 2012 at 1:58:33 pm

I've not really used Motion before, but currently I'm trying to correct some captions that I've been provided. The Blur In behavior has been used to bring the captions on, but at the end of the transition the last small glow of the text just clicks off, making it look as though though font is changing size. I can't seem to work out how to fix this, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Michael Lansdell

Online/Offline Editor, Motion Graphics and VFX

http://www.michael-lansdell.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Blur in behavior doesn't transition off smoothly.
on Feb 20, 2012 at 2:02:21 pm

I would just turn off the glow so that it doesn't blur in at all - Text tab of the Inspector, Style pane, near the middle, uncheck the Glow checkbox.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Michael Lansdell
on Feb 20, 2012 at 2:12:51 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, the glow comes from the Blur In transition, it's like that layer never truly comes in to focus. Glow isn't turned on for the text in its style tab.

Just in case it makes a difference, I'm using a font called Futura Book (like a more delicate Futura).

Cheers!

Michael

Michael Lansdell

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Feb 20, 2012 at 2:18:24 pm

Then remove the Glow parameter in the Behaviors tab so that it won't be animated.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Michael Lansdell
on Feb 20, 2012 at 2:37:16 pm

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to do anything.

Under the bahaviors tab for Blur In there are the options to fiddle with the Face Blur, Outline Blur, Glow and Drop Shadow. But any changes made to these only effect the start of the transition. The end is always the same slightly soft text, that pops off at the end of the transition.

I think I may have worked out a workaround from rendering off a clean version too though. Thanks for your help with this. Learning Motion (I'm an After Effects man myself) is on my to do list. I'm sure to someone used to it's layouts and flow would be able to fix this no bother.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael Lansdell

Return to posts index

Travis LaMeterey
on Apr 19, 2012 at 7:46:39 pm

Any answers to this? I'm having the same issue, using FCS3

(Mark I have your Motion 3 book, which was solid... obviously no answers to this issue, but doing that tutorial back in the day was what made me think of using this behavior)

I unfortunately have not found a solution as of yet for my proj...

I can't find any parameter in the behavior that affects this. Do I just have to do the whole blur in effect manually keyframing it??

I'm putting this on the shelf for a minute b/c I feel like I'm just wasting time - was trying to do this in Motion to take advantage of the FCS workflow. Unfortunately, my simple little lower 3rds turned a little more complex. Had I known where this was going to go I prob would have done them in AE

OP - I learned Motion first, but am After Effects man myself as well now. I just run into too many buggy little problems like this in Motion.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Apr 19, 2012 at 8:11:40 pm

Click the Remove button to remove the Blur parameter, if that's what you want to do...

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Travis LaMeterey
on Apr 19, 2012 at 9:32:13 pm

Well, that doesn't do it. If I remove the blur, the behavior has the effect of a left to right fade reveal, but then when it hits the end of the behavior you still get that pop.

It's like the behavior makes the text faux bold & slightly darker. From that last frame of the Blur In to the next frame on the text layer it's a sudden jumpy change in the text.

Oh well, I'll figure out a different way to do the reveal effect I'm looking for (I have a logo animating across the screen to reveal the text as it's blurring in)
Was just trying to do something quick and easy that would be easy to adjust within the FCS workflow.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Apr 19, 2012 at 9:50:23 pm

Why not just build your own using the Sequence Text behavior (found in the Text Animation folder in the Text behaviors in the Library)? Add the Blur parameter, and opacity, set the values, and tweak as desired.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Travis LaMeterey
on Apr 19, 2012 at 9:58:56 pm

Will do. Like I said was just trying to save time, but it didn't work out.

Thanks, though!

Return to posts index

Travis LaMeterey
on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:09:32 pm

Ok.... I was playing around with it 20 min ago, still had the same issue in Motion and FCP. Issue was visible on FCP export to both ref file and h.264 at various points(wanted to make sure it was just a preview rendering issue

I just opened Motion again (have not restarted, FCP has been open the whole time - also not the first time I've quit motion and relanched it since I've been working on this edit) and it looks perfectly fine!?!?!?!?

Saved, went back to FCP and everything looks good.

Did not change a thing!

So weird... ghosts in the machine again I guess.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Oct 14, 2013 at 7:52:29 pm

Sorry to add onto an old thread, but I thought this might help others in the future. I had a similar situation using the Glow Through behavior in Motion 4 where the glow pops off at the end. I went into the font's Style tab, turned on Glow and set the radius to 0. This eliminated the abrupt glow pop problem while preserving the behavior's look.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]