APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

pendular-out movement

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reto Christiani
pendular-out movement
on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:15:31 pm

just a quick question: for an object that comes to a stop ... but not abrupt!
how could I achieve this kind of "pendular-out" movement?
until now I used key-framing but would like to find out, if there is another way?!
i don't think this could be achieved with a behavior nor any parameter settings ... or am I wrong?
BIG thanks in advance for proofing me wrong ; )

here a quick hand-drawing to show the kind of movement I mean:

anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new

Return to posts index

Don Eitner
Re: pendular-out movement
on Feb 17, 2012 at 1:45:15 am

Have you looked at the Motion Path behavior? In Motion 5 this is under Behaviors > Basic Motion > Motion Path.

Return to posts index

Reto Christiani
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:50:07 am

Thanks Don ...
that works great on a simple movement but only x and y axis are available to adjust.
seems to have lots of limitations and doesn't work on rotations to "wobble out" for example ...
a parameter behavior would be great but non works as hoped!
I guess I have to stick to do it with key-framing then (= time consuming).

anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Feb 17, 2012 at 1:42:21 pm

You can definitely do this with a couple of parameter behaviors - e.g. Oscillate to make something swing back and forth, and then apply a Ramp behavior to the Amplitude of the Oscillate behavior to have the amplitude ramp down over time to 0. No keyframes required and looks quite natural.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Reto Christiani
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:21:33 pm

THX Mark ... I know what you mean and that sounds good to me!
but I don't manage to make it fade out and to control the Amplitude of the Oscillate behavior!

if you would have some time to spare and look together with me at the famous example of a text that turns on top from its X-axis from -90° to 0°.
the goal is to achieve that it swings back and forth and comes slowly to a stop.
- so I set no keyframe and let the Oscillate Parameter Behavior do the work. turning the text to its start point of 90° by its Amplitude and Phase.
- setting the Speed to let it swing 5 times
- then I apply the Parameter Ramp Behavior directly to the Oscillate Amplitude (Behaviors.Oscillate.Amplitude)

and from there I loose control!

- I guess I have to reset the Oscillate amplitude to 0 and set the Ramp Start Value 90° and End Value to 0°?

I spent some time with it while watching the curve in the keyframe window, but with all I was "playing" around, I couldn't get that desired curve ...

where am I going wrong here?
and THX for pointing me into the right direction in advance!

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Feb 20, 2012 at 11:33:33 am

Hi Reto

I ran in to that problem a while ago too.
In Motion 4 I couldn't get behaviors to affect the amplitude parameter.
Just tried it out in Motion 5 and it seems to work fine here.

Return to posts index

Reto Christiani
on Feb 22, 2012 at 11:16:01 am

THANKS to all for your help! got it and it works as described by Mark.
just lost the control of it through a "messy" file I worked with. starting from scratch made that beautiful looked for movement!

Return to posts index

Steve Savage
on Apr 13, 2014 at 11:42:13 pm

I've been trying to replicate this in a motion 5 project. I get the type to swing with the parameter behavior but I can't get it to slow down and stop. I've tried both the ramp behavior and keyframes to get the job done. When I do it in new project with only that one layer in the project it works but when I copy that layer into the bigger project it won't slow down nor stop.

In the keyframe editor I see the light amplitude waves consistently across the range. I also see the straight line from my keyframing going from amplitude 100 to 0. My action isn't impacting the light amplitude lines in the editor or on screen whatsoever.

What could be going on in my big project that inhibiting these behaviors to do what they're instructed to do?

(Mark btw, I'm a big fan and a recent purchaser of the Motion 3D Cameras and the Kinetic Type tutorial series)

Return to posts index

Steve Savage
on Apr 14, 2014 at 7:56:50 pm

Further research on my part indicated that unless the object with the oscillation is in the frame 0 or 1 of the project the ability to see that parameter decay over time just doesn't work.

No need to respond to this if my observation is correct. On the other hand, if there's a practical work around to get the effect I'm seeking I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]