APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Copying project groups from one project to another and between computers

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hilleke van Osch
Copying project groups from one project to another and between computers
on Jan 28, 2012 at 10:24:20 am

Hi

We have a project loaded on 2 iMacs, both are using an identical dataset of media and the intention had been for two operators to complete separate sections of a Motion project and copy completed sections to the primary project once completed. The project updated on the secondary computer is opened on the primary computer, the relevant project group is copied from the project pane, the project is closed, the main project opened and then the group is pasted into the required location on the timeline.
Although the group pastes in OK and the media links to new locations, all the setting for the media in that group are lost, making the whole process totally futile.
Are we missing a vital step or have we misunderstood what is possible in Motion.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Hilleke

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Copying project groups from one project to another and between computers
on Jan 28, 2012 at 3:56:44 pm

What do you mean by "all the settings for the media" exactly?

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Hilleke van Osch
Re: Copying project groups from one project to another and between computers
on Jan 29, 2012 at 5:03:01 am

Hi Mark - thanks for getting back.

Actually we (that is to say my partner) worked it out. I'd been pasting the new group into a folder nested inside another group for that section of the project. As a result the size settings of the drop zones and the masked images (using the rectangle technique shown by Kevin McAuliffe - thank you!) were being altered by settings in that group.

I've now found that if I create a group outside any other groups in the project then the objects in the new group copy across with the parameters set on the other iMac.

So although I don't really understand why that happens we can now make the project work across the 2 iMacs - so we may meet this crazy deadline after all ;-)

Thanks for your great tutorials and tips - I really enjoy them and have learnt a lot - with still a lot to learn obviously!!

Hilleke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]