APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion 4 Crashes/Reinstall issues (have searched forum but no luck)

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Davies
Motion 4 Crashes/Reinstall issues (have searched forum but no luck)
on Jan 21, 2012 at 5:55:52 pm

Dear Wonderful Fountains of Knowledge...

Was hoping you could please help me with a problem. I usually try to fix these things myself but have completely run aground on this one :0(

Motion 4 kept crashing on me, so I deleted the application, and also a couple of files in Library etc.

When I go to the install disc - the Motion 4 application is greyed out (whilst content etc are clickable).

It seems like my Mac still thinks Motion is installed, when it isn't. I went to FCP7 to try and send a clip to it just to check - and FCP crashed.

I've ran Digital Rebellion's FCS Remover on the entire Motion package (including content etc) - and I've still got the same issue.

This is on my older computer at home (not at studio) so I'm running 10.7.2 on an older iMac 2.14GHz with 3 gigs of Ram.

I'm totally baffled by it!

If any of you could provide suggestions, I'd be very grateful indeed!

Many thanks,

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Davies
Re: Motion 4 Crashes/Reinstall issues (have searched forum but no luck)
on Jan 21, 2012 at 6:02:50 pm

I meant to confirm that I have deleted the files from the Trash, and also the Install disc says "skip" under the Motion programme tick box :0)

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Jan 23, 2012 at 2:01:18 am

This type of thing can often be caused by receipt files. Can you let me know the results of the following Terminal command:

ls /var/db/receipts

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

Mark Davies
on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:17:17 am

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply - most appreciated!

I ran the terminal command - have pasted motion-related results below (I'm guessing the others would be irrelevant?) - I think most of these relate to FCPX (yep - I'm one of those unfortunate people who bought it too early lol!)

com.apple.pkg.MotionContent.bom
com.apple.pkg.MotionContent.plist
com.apple.pkg.MotionSeriesLiveFonts.bom
com.apple.pkg.MotionSeriesLiveFonts.plist
com.apple.pkg.Motion_AppStore.bom
com.apple.pkg.Motion_AppStore.plist

When I ran the FCP Uninstaller app I mentioned, I ticked receipts in there so it should have uninstalled them.

What I did notice was that with Lion Apple obviously made the library folder invisible - when I go into it there was no receipts folder visible - although there is one on the system somewhere!

From what I can see there is no trace of Motion 4 on my system. I've got a couple of project files I think - but as this isn't my main Mac they are just minorly experimental files.

If you've got any suggestions I'd be very grateful to hear them :0)

Thanks again,

Mark

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:25:56 pm

Yep, these are Motion 5 related. Maybe they're conflicting with the FCS 3 installer so I'd recommend navigating to /var/db/receipts (use the Go > Go To Folder function in Finder because it's a hidden folder) and then moving those files to your desktop.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

Mark Davies
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:50:03 pm

Hi Jon,

Thanks for getting back to me again - really appreciate it :0)

I tried your suggestion and still the same issue I'm afraid. I'm completely perplexed as to whats happening - I even checked the disc to see if it is damaged and it's immaculate!

Am I right in thinking that this problem shouldn't really be happening? ie - it doesn't make any sense?

I'm starting to wonder if I should just back up my data and do a complete erase and install on my Mac to be honest - perhaps that will do it?

The reason I'm having this issue in the first place is because I did the reinstall due to Motion crashing the second I opened up a new project - so maybe the Mac is in need of it!

I'll hold off the erase for a bit just in case yourself or anyone else has any other suggestions, as I'd rather not go through a full re-pop.

Thanks again for your input though - always appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Jan 23, 2012 at 6:19:17 pm

No, it's probably easier to use Pacifist to extract the files from the DVD:
http://www.charlessoft.com/

Remember to install the latest Motion 4 updates after installing.

My software:
More tools...

Return to posts index

Mark Davies
on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:16:34 pm

Hi Jon,

Sorry for the delay in following up, and thanks for the advice re Pacifist. I'd never heard of that app before and it's really good.

Even with that, I'm still having problems unfortunately - which is making me think that a full on re-install is worth doing - especially because the Mac in question has some other issues. A little extreme perhaps, but probably worth it in the long run!

Anyhoo - thanks again for all your help and advice - very much appreciated :0)

Cheers,

Mark

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:22:15 pm

Take a look at this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1885

Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]