APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Image with trailing effect in Motion 4?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David HorneImage with trailing effect in Motion 4?
by on Jan 21, 2012 at 5:06:40 am

I'm trying to make a lower third where a soccer ball (a psd file) spins and follows a motion path pulling a player's name behind it. What I would like to do is have the soccer ball's image trail along behind it. So I'd have the original image with gradually fading copies of it following behind. Does anyone know how to do that? I've googled till my fingers turned blue. Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: Image with trailing effect in Motion 4?
by on Jan 21, 2012 at 3:14:23 pm

Library > Filters > Time. Try Echo, Trails, and WideTime.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

David HorneRe: Image with trailing effect in Motion 4?
by on Jan 22, 2012 at 3:42:21 pm

Thanks Mark but that didn't work. Maybe it's me.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 22, 2012 at 4:24:08 pm

You'll have to be more specific - every one of those filters will create trails of different kinds. What about them did not work? Can you share a screenshot?

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 24, 2012 at 12:54:30 am

Mark,
First let me say thank you for your help and patience. I'm posting three grabs. The first is an image I created in CS5.5 Photoshop. In that image there are 6 soccer balls. Each one after the first has varying degrees of motion blur applied. That image contains the desired effect for the soccer ball coming to a halt.

The second image is a screen grab of the soccer ball in Motion with the Time/Echo filter applied. That grab shows the Parameter settings for the Echo Behavior.

The last image is what the completed comp with the desired end effect with background, player and name.
Hope this helps a bit more. I should have included the grabs in the first place. Please excuse my haste.

Again thank you.

David

Return to posts index

by on Jan 24, 2012 at 1:16:13 am

Ah. Pictures sure help. I thought the soccer ball was part of a video. Those filters only work on a video clip - they won't do anything to an animated graphics, as you can see. What you want to do is turn on Motion Blur under the pop-up menu at the top right - the names have changed in Motion 5, it's now the Render menu, I can't remember the name in Motion 4, but it's a button at the top right of the Canvas. You can adjust the shutter angle in Edit > Project Properties.

It will create longer render times, but should give you what you are looking for.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 24, 2012 at 3:58:35 am

Mark,
Thanks again. I have all your DVD's and I'm about to buy Mastering Particles in Motion 5. I'm pretty confident that what you are teaching in this DVD will transfer to Motion 4. I also subscribed to your newsletter.

Thanks for participating in this forum. I for one appreciate it.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

Chris Smith-NaillRe: Image with trailing effect in Motion 4?
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 7:42:47 pm

I have a very similar issue, but it's not solved by this solution and I can't seem to find one online nor figure it out on my own:

I have an animated image of a finger tracing out some motions. I'd like to create something that will trace out the movement of the fingertip and decay after about 3 to 4 seconds after the fingertip passes any given point. The fingertip follows a crazy bezier line (but the path of the line might change according to client wishes). Think about a glow stick at night and how your eyes perceive a delayed decay of the motion of the glow stick. The motion blur solution (using Motion 3) applies blur to all elements on the screen and not to a single item.

The solution I was thinking about was to create a colored circle that is hidden under the fingertip matching its motion. That works fine. I can't find a way to have the circle leave tracers in its wake. I tried echo and tracer, but as noted above that only works on images and not animated elements. I applied the motion blur filter, but that did nothing to the motion of the circle either.

I can't think of any other solution than to generate an image of a line and rotoscope it out, or try to work out a 'Write On' behavior and I really don't like either of those options because if the track of the finger changes, then I'll have to redo the whole process. I don't think the particle generator will work with out a lot of trial and error and then it's really not the same effect. Think of a fingertip moving through a slow reacting foam (like memory foam). The impression is still there for a few seconds even when the finger is removed - but I want to do it as a color trace. Any ideas?

C

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2012 at 8:14:25 pm

A particle emitter is ideal for this, you just need to tweak it to get the result you want.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Chris Smith-NaillRe: Image with trailing effect in Motion 4?
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:22:40 am

Wow particle generator was the way to go! With that lead and the help of the 'Particle Party' video tutorial here I got it done and it looks pretty good. Thank you. Now the tweaking . . .

C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]