APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Timelapses in Motion 5

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Mead
Timelapses in Motion 5
on Jan 5, 2012 at 11:51:35 am

Hi creative people, I'm going mad trying to do timelapses in Motion5. Sadly I don't have Quicktime Pro7, which having read online, seems to be the easiest way, however I do have Motion 5 and some posts I've read seem to suggest it's as easy on this. BUT IS IT??!!

OK so I've tried to export the shots in their native size:5184 × 3456 (is this already a mistake?!)

And when I go into Import and click on the Import as image sequence bit it seems to allow me to import in groups of 40 pictures and no more (even if I choose all of my pics it only imports 40 into the timeline).

And then...once I've got my first set of 40(!) in the timeline and I try to import/image sequence etc...and deselect the first 40 and click on the following 40 pictures, it seems to import the same pictures again from the beginning of the timelapse! The same 40!

I admit I'm completely new to Motion5 and I don't really know what's what like I do on FCP, but I've followed online instructions and it just doesn't seem to be working. I have a great timelapse of the Christmas day table and I want to see it in all it's video beauty!

Many thanks and Happy New Year-may it be a good and creative one.

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
Re: Timelapses in Motion 5
on Jan 6, 2012 at 10:04:52 am

What you're doing ought to work.

How are your files named? If the sequence of numbers in your file names is broken i any way, that will give you all kinds of trouble.

If you don't plan to pan and zoom, you should consider exporting the pictures in smaller dimensions. What you have now is essentially 5K uncompressed, which will bog down most computers. I don't think that is what's causing the other error, but I would still try it out. Inexplicable errors often have inexplicable solutions.

Return to posts index

Jack Mead
on Jan 6, 2012 at 12:06:19 pm

There are a few deleted shots from the middle of the sequence...Would that be the problem?

If so...any ideas on how to fix that one?!

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Jan 6, 2012 at 3:29:04 pm

Yup. That would be the problem. The first deleted shot is number 41 in the sequence, isn't it?

You will need to rename the files, so there are no holes in the number sequence.
Try this little fre app:
http://download.cnet.com/BatchRename-em/3000-2094_4-196217.html

Return to posts index

Jack Mead
on Jan 6, 2012 at 4:03:00 pm

You're a dude. Thankyou so much man.

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Jan 9, 2012 at 8:45:10 am

You're welcome. Always happy to help.