APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Is it time for Motion 5?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Udell
Is it time for Motion 5?
on Dec 30, 2011 at 7:02:30 pm

Hi All....

As I mentioned in other threads, our shop has a completely "motion centric workflow."

While we capture and master in FCP, content creation is essentially Photoshop and Motion 3. (yes motion 3)

We've been putting off Moving to Motion 5.

We are not interested in upgrading to FCP X and want to hold on to our trusty old FCP 6 (yes 6, we never upgraded to 7...and I guess we can't now?) for when we need to actually edit.

So can we move forward with upgrading to the New Motion and Compressor and not break our workflow?

I'd like to see improvements in background rendering with compressor, working with and rendering HD (I assume 64 bit helps with this), and productivity things features like Rigs.

Are plug-ins that are supported in Motion 3 supported in Motion 5 or are they broken because of 64 bit?

Your feedback and advice is greatly appreciated. The price of new seats is obviously not an issue.

thanks for your help.....

Alex

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Is it time for Motion 5?
on Dec 31, 2011 at 3:06:19 am

[Alex Udell] "So can we move forward with upgrading to the New Motion and Compressor and not break our workflow?"

That depends on whether part of your workflow is using the "Send to Motion" function inside FCP. Because there is no roundtrip workflow with Motion 5 and any version of FCP (including X).

You can however, create content in Motion 5, export QT files and bring that into any version of FCP you want (provided it handles the codec you rendered out to).

Motion 5 is totally worth it for rigging and keyer alone, not to mention the 64 bit re-write. You'll also have access to linking (which was introduced in Motion 4).

I like Motion 5 a lot and would say it's totally fine to upgrade from M3 provided you don't need integration with FCP.

Andy

PS: I don't think any plugins work from previous versions of Motion. If you lean heavy on those, you need to find out if the plugin manufacture even has Motion 5 versions.

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Dec 31, 2011 at 1:29:48 pm

Thanks Andy.

That's sort of what I thought.

I'm aware of the lack of the "send to motion function."
It's not really a part of our workflow. I use it occasionally.
If you have both versions of Motion installed, could you send to Motion 3/4. Save the Project file and simply open it in Motion 5?

We render to Uncompressed or Prores so the codec is not a problem for us.

I now need to start looking at the OS versions installed on our machines and see about updating to be compatible as well....and how that will affect our existing FCP and our SAN MP licenses.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Dec 31, 2011 at 7:05:57 pm

[Alex Udell] "If you have both versions of Motion installed, could you send to Motion 3/4. Save the Project file and simply open it in Motion 5?"

Should be able to, with caveats. I can open Motion 4 projects in Motion 5, and I haven't heard anything that says you can't. However, Motion 4 changed the way that text effects were built so some Motion 3 text behaviors don't translate anymore. There might be some other gotchas like that.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]