APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Slow Performance in Apple Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael GarskeSlow Performance in Apple Motion
by on Sep 28, 2011 at 3:54:53 pm

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone has some insight into a possible solution or idea for the cause of my trouble with Apple Motion. It seems such amazing software but I haven't been able to actually use it in the year we've had our system because its performance is so incredibly slow.

I've tried reformatting the entire system and reinstalling the OS & FCP suite but it still gives me the pinwheel any time I try to do practically anything in the program. Every other program in the suite, as well as After Effects and other Adobe programs function as normal.

The system should be more than beefy enough to handle Motion I would think. The basic specs are as follows:

12core 2.66GHz Intel Xeon
16GB DDR3 Ram
a 512 SSD with 300Gb still available
5Tb of open hard drive space
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 1536MB
Lion
All updates for software

I opened a timeline and added 1 particle emitter and the program completely freezes for 1-4 minutes any time I try to click on basically anything at all. If I get into even modestly complex projects the program force quits entirely after it pinwheels for a while.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this, or how to fix it? I know that this is a vague issue but I'm hoping someone has experienced this or have some idea what could cause the program to fail.

Thanks again,

Michael Garske
http://www.ShutterlabCreative.com

Return to posts index

zak pericRe: Slow Performance in Apple Motion
by on Sep 28, 2011 at 4:48:01 pm

Have you tried calling Apple and asking their customer support. Seems lime you have very good system. It should handle motion very well. Also have you tried upgrading final cut studio to the current version which you can do via software update.

What is x are you running.

Return to posts index

Michael GarskeRe: Slow Performance in Apple Motion
by on Sep 28, 2011 at 6:07:49 pm

I haven't called tech support yet. the system is running mostly top notch otherwise though. I just don't understand why there would only be a problem with just this one program. I'm running 10.7.1 all updates accounted for.

Michael Garske
http://www.ShutterlabCreative.com

Return to posts index

Don EitnerRe: Slow Performance in Apple Motion
by on Sep 29, 2011 at 1:23:39 am

Which version of Motion are you running (3, 4, 5)? If it's 5, be aware that the recent update for that came through the App Store rather than Software Updates. I'm running 5.0.1 here on a much lesser system (quad 3.2GHz, 12GB RAM and Radeon 5770) and find it very responsive most of the time. Locking up for 1-4 minutes would prompt a call to support.

Don Eitner

Return to posts index

Michael GarskeRe: Slow Performance in Apple Motion
by on Sep 29, 2011 at 2:50:03 am

It's Motion 4.0.3.

Alright I'll have to give them a ring tomorrow. Hopefully there will be some obscure but easy fix They'll have for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]