APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Show inner edges of window in 3D wall

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don EitnerShow inner edges of window in 3D wall
by on Sep 25, 2011 at 7:02:47 pm

I'm new to Motion (5) but have watched many tutorials and have successfully created a handful of very simple 2D projects. What I am trying to do now is to create a 3D wall (with z-space thickness) which has a window which I can dolly the camera through as if the viewer is walking toward it. I have this working using a Color Solid as the wall with a mask shape added to lay out the window. I can "see" through the window what is on the other side (a video layer set back in z-space from the wall) however there are no "inner edges" to the window, it's just a flat plane.

I created a replicator on the wall, set it to replicate in a line and increased the number of points. When I orbit the camera around I can see the wall has thickness and appears solid, but dollying the camera through the window still doesn't show the inner edges (the z-space edges) of the window.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: Show inner edges of window in 3D wall
by on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:48:40 pm

Rather than using a replicator, I would "build" each side of your wall to create thickness the same way you would build a cube - by rotating and placing planes in 3D space.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Don EitnerRe: Show inner edges of window in 3D wall
by on Sep 27, 2011 at 12:31:54 am

Thank you Mark, I will try that. My window was non-rectangular (rounded top) which is why I used an image mask to cut it out of the wall. I'll need work out how to build a curve with depth for that top edge, or else try not to be so fancy on my first try. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]