APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

App Store Changed its Mind

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Smith
App Store Changed its Mind
on Sep 21, 2011 at 10:18:48 am

Mac App Store won't update Motion 5 (or FCPX, or Compressor 4)!

No problem updating FCPX, Motion 5 and Compressor 4 on my new laptop, but my older MacPro (with an updated graphics card) is now rejected by the App Store for the update because it says my graphics card doesn't quality. Yet, the same card on the same computer qualified when I first bought the programs. Also, a day after it appeared in my App Store login on my laptop, FCPX is still missing in the update list on my MacPro. Yes, I've restarted my Mac Pro. Anyone else experiencing this?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: App Store Changed its Mind
on Sep 21, 2011 at 12:49:05 pm

If it's not showing up in the Update section, go to the Purchases section of the App Store. If it's there with an Install button, first trash your current copy of the app, then you should be able to install - I had the same issue on my Mac Pro (all went well on the laptop as well).

However, if your card is not compatible, it still may not install. See:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4728
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4664

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Sep 21, 2011 at 1:31:45 pm

Thank you Mark. That would have been the easier way.

Apparently, the graphics requirement for the three apps has changed since the first release. The first time I bought FCPX, Motion 5 and Compressor 4, on my MacPro the App Store made no complaint about my graphics card. I thought I had dodged a bullet.

I worked around getting the apps on my MacPro by copying them from my laptop. That got them on my MacPro, but every time I launch them now I get an alert that the graphics card is not supported. They still run, but that alert is not only a pain, but it surely means that GPU assistance is missing.

Clearly, I need to update my hardware because I have what I think is the best graphics card available for the original Intel Mac Pro (ATI 3870? I'm doing that model number from memory). I would buy a better card right now if there's one better for my older computer. In any case, I'm hoping to save the money needed for the next generation of the MacPro, but I'm hearing so many great reports of these apps running on the i7 iMac and Mac Mini that I'm looking at those options as well.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

warwick teale
on Sep 21, 2011 at 2:45:27 pm

Hi Mark Thanks for the tip regarding deleting the FCPX V10.0 app from /Applications and going to apps store/purchases to reinstall to get the update.., that worked like charm. I had the issue were FCPX 10.0 would not update to V10.1 although/however the apps storer updated Motion5 and Compressor.

W
Hong Kong

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Sep 22, 2011 at 10:08:52 am

Does anyone know if a graphics card for a more recent Mac Pro will work in the original Mac Pro? I seem to read their was a PCIe change a year or two after MacPro 1,1. For the moment, it seems that the ATI Radeon HD 3870 is the best card I can put into my MacPro 1,1 but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Sep 22, 2011 at 10:30:04 am

See this link;

particularly read the reviews of what people say about compatibility issues.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC742ZM/A?mco=MTA4MTkyMjY

I hope this helps

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Sep 22, 2011 at 11:07:32 am

Thanks for the tip Zak. I read about the ATI Radeon HD 5770 and there's a user review that says it works in his MacPro 1,1. He said that he could not also use the DVI connector when both mini-display ports were in use, but I only need to use the two mini-display ports (with adaptors). Thank you. I'll follow up on this thread to see if the card indeed works (and I'm confident it will).

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Sep 22, 2011 at 2:16:44 pm

You can also hack a Pc card to use on a Mac. I have seen few websites telling you how to do this. Check also you firmware as I recall some people can run better ATI card one that costs £300 on Mac 1.1 but it has to be the correct firmware. See the reviews.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Sep 27, 2011 at 11:21:32 am

Zak, your advice to look at the ATI Radeon HD 5770 card for my MacPro 1,1 was solid.

Although my original MacPro isn't a candidate according to the specs for the card, its working inside the computer just fine. Now, I don't get the alert that my graphics card doesn't qualify when I try to run FCPX or Motion 5.

I also ordered two Mini Displayport to DVI adaptors and my two displays are functioning just fine. The instructions said the DVI connector on the card is a Dual-Link so that you can run a 30" Apple display on it, but I have no way of testing that.

Thank you.

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]