APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Freeze frame stamp effect?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Crowell
Freeze frame stamp effect?
on Sep 17, 2011 at 11:02:20 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm trying to figure out a way to do a sort of freeze frame stamping effect. I'll explain:

I have a wide shot of my friend running across the screen, right to left. I'd like it to "stamp" his image as he crosses each quarter of the screen. By this I mean that once he reaches each quarter, the frame of him in whatever position he is in is stamped, and remains while he runs on. This would happen four or so times.

I figure I can do this by finding the appropriate frame, cutting him out in photoshop, and reimporting into after effects...but does anyone know of a simpler way? Is there maybe a plugin that does this?

Also...is there a name for this?

thanks,
Justin

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
Re: Freeze frame stamp effect?
on Sep 18, 2011 at 1:16:23 am

(and of course by "After Effects" I mean Motion. I use both pieces of software, so if anyone has an idea particular to one or the other, I'm open to it!)

Return to posts index

Dwayne Schnell
on Sep 18, 2011 at 4:32:28 am

camera panning or stationary? Maybe a Blend mode of Difference on a duplicated track (with a single frame isolated)? I've only played with difference mattes once, and got poor results... but maybe in the right direction? photoshop might be the best route if you only need a few of them.

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Sep 19, 2011 at 1:14:00 am

The shot is stationary. I thought about blend modes, but I'm a little concerned that that's going to have some effect on the look. I'll give it a shot, and let you know, thanks!

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Sep 19, 2011 at 5:27:43 am

There's no plugin that will do this for you automatically (and that goes for *any* compositing app). You've got the basic technique right, you just have to create a freeze-frame and cut your guy out of it each time, but you don't have to export anything to Photoshop, you can do the whole thing in Motion.

Stephen Smith has a tutorial that covers very similar ground here: Time After Time tutorial

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:52:56 pm

If it is stationary you will need to create masks. As Gareth said, it is covered in this Movement Through Time tutorial. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Sep 28, 2011 at 4:44:23 pm

Hey, thanks everybody!

I decided to use After Effects in order to make use of the roto tool. The results were really good, considering the background that the moving objects were working agains. I'll upload at some point to show you.

There's no similar tool in Motion, right?

Thanks again for the help!

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Sep 29, 2011 at 4:11:46 pm

You can certainly roto in Motion using the Bezier pen tool and recording keyframes - I wouldn't recommend it for a complex shape, better to use a dedicated app like Mocha.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]