APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Text box size / amount of text ?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Poll
Text box size / amount of text ?
on Sep 6, 2011 at 4:47:12 pm

Hello all,

I'm trying to build a Motion template (Motion 4 with FCP 7) and I'm wondering if there is any way to determine the size of a text box, or the amount of text within a text box.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a big block of red (just a solid with a mask on it), and I need to move it to reveal the text underneath. The problem is that I can't figure out a way to have it move based on how much text there is (for instance, if I have a long line of text, the solid has to move farther to reveal more, but if I have a short line of text, the solid only needs to move a little way). I've been going through the behaviours, but have not been able to find a parameter to link to that will allow me to do this. Are there any Motion experts out there who could give me a couple of ideas?

Thanks muchly!

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Text box size / amount of text ?
on Sep 6, 2011 at 4:56:40 pm

The easiest way to go about this is to use Motion 5 and FCP X because you can build a rig and publish it to FCPX in order to adjust for different text lengths.

But for Motion 4, you can use a workaround by linking the parameter you want to change (the size of the box) to a dummy text scale parameter which can be adjust in FCP7. This video shows you how:

http://pixelcorps.cachefly.net/mbks_078_540p_h264.mov

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

James Poll
Re: Text box size / amount of text ?
on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:19:28 pm

Wow, thanks Mark for the quick response!

That's exactly what I needed. I had been playing around with the Link behaviour, but couldn't find anything to link to. The idea of a dummy text scale is so clever, and yet so simple, that I'm totally face-palming myself for not figuring this out before.

Think I'm going to go get that Motion Cheats book!

Thanks again... very much appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]