APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion 5 and Final Cut 7, No transparency being transferred

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris larsenMotion 5 and Final Cut 7, No transparency being transferred
by on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:21:45 am

I'm having some sort of alpha channel issue. Exporting from Motion 5 as prores 422 (fcp7 timeline settings), when I go into options color+alpha is the export option, but final cut 7 only shows a black background. My current workaround is to chroma key the black out, but this may not be a viable option for future projects.

additional notes,

export option: "Use current settings" creates a file that is unrecognized by final cut 7.

In the project properties I have set the background to transparent.

I have tried other variations of prores that have produced the same result.

Personal Opinion:

Final Cut X wasn't ready for release and anyone who uses it is doing Apple a $400 favor by testing for interface/workflow design flaws.

What FCPX needs: Better Keyframing (window for simple adjustment)
Magnetic timeline is garbage, any editor proficient in FCP never worried about it anyway. What I could do with the pen tool in 30 seconds in FCP7 takes me 3 times longer to do in FCP 10.

Colorgrading in FCPX is a joke, keep color alive and return all the necessary tools to use 3rd party softwares. audio editing and filters are also a joke.

any way... Enough griping help me out if you can, much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: Motion 5 and Final Cut 7, No transparency being transferred
by on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:27:02 am

ProRes 422 does not support an alpha channel. Try ProRes 4444 or Animation, with colors set to Millions+.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

chris larsenRe: Motion 5 and Final Cut 7, No transparency being transferred
by on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:34:29 am

/facepalm

Thanks worked perfect.

Return to posts index

Tim SimpsonRe: Motion 5 and Final Cut 7, No transparency being transferred
by on Sep 21, 2011 at 6:02:03 pm

Mark,
I tried this and it still has a black background in my fcpx project when i import it. I have set the motion 5 to transparency and also
saved as prores 4444 is their something i am missing.

I thought this was suppose to be easy as these motion is for placing in fcp on movies.
I am somewhat new to all this but got a job where i was forced to learn all this.

Not very stoked on FCPx with all the bugs especially serious playback issues.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks Tim

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2011 at 6:04:07 pm

Tim, Motion 5 is not compatible with FCP 7.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2011 at 6:15:56 pm

I have fcp x and i still can't get any motion image or movie to show up in fcpx without having a black square box behind it.

Also note i watched your tutorial on fcpx how to publish features from motion 5 and have them be editable in fxpx, great stuff by the way biut
when i import a motion 5 movie in and i changed all the features like scale, rotate, ect it still is not editable in fcpx

once i am done this large tutorail video i have to get fcp7 as i have heard and read that fcp x is filled with bugs and bad stuff.
Is this just another bug in this program?
thanks for the quick response.

Thanks Tim

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2011 at 8:05:56 pm

If you want your Motion project in FCP X you need to publish it as a generator.

Where have you heard FCPX is filled with bugs? That has not been my experience at all.

The workflow between Motion 5 and FCP X is totally different than Motion 4 and FCP 7. It works, you just need to know what to do.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

by on Sep 22, 2011 at 3:41:45 pm

Mark,
Thanks I am actually having serious performance issues with fcpx.
Just on playing back, the video slows down alot and then the video and sound do not match and this has created a ton of problems in this very large dentistry tutorial project and am very frustrated because when i go to show the dr. the main point titles don't show up when he views the project to make final approvals.

I have went on FCPX comments and read more then half on so many complaints. I am stuck now to finish this in FCPX since i am 80% done.

Could you give me a brief rundown on how to publish a generator. I see that when you first open it gives option of making a fcpx generator but now my motion movie is done as a regular project. so do i have to do it all over as selecting create a generator for fcpx now?
Any help so i can finish this up.

also i have a ton of other video projects to do for the Dr. so would you recommdened i get fcp7? Also called apple today and they said they have a new fcpx and motion 5 update that might fix some of these issues hopefully. downloading now. Sorry for the long post just need to get this done.
thanks Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]