APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Super slow mo

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ceri Allen
Super slow mo
on Aug 15, 2011 at 4:04:55 pm

Hi

I will be creating super slow-mo effect from footage shot at 60fps on a canon 5D.
It will be of a BMX rider.
First I will conform it in cinema tools to 24p.
However following this there seems to be 5 possible ways of further slowing the footage:

1. MOTION: Motion blur blending
2. MOTION: Optical flow
3. After Effects: Timewarp
4. After Effects: Time Remapping
5. After Effects: Twixtor

I will do tests when I received the footage but as the deadline is tight I am trying to do as much prep before hand as possible. What are the general thoughts on the best method to use? Ideally I would avoid twixtor due to cost.

Thanks

Ceri

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Super slow mo
on Aug 15, 2011 at 5:30:32 pm

You should not conform to 24 until after the speed change or else you'll lose the benefit of the extra frames that were shot.

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 15, 2011 at 7:01:39 pm

Bring the footage straight into motion and do you speed change. Then set to optical flow and wait for it to crunch the numbers. It will look awesome!!!

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Chris Wiggles
on Aug 17, 2011 at 10:04:07 pm

Andy: he's wanting to move to 24p using cinema tools will slow down the footage and simply play back the existing frames at 24fps rather than 60, so you've slowed things down by more than half (a good idea). Then you can drop that into motion (or after effects) and continue from there to slow it down more via processing.

As far as which methods yield the best results, I cannot say. If you have the ability to try them all, just test and see what you like. I've seen some really cool stuff done with twixtor on Vimeo, and also had pretty cool results using optical flow in motion myself (don't have AE). If you google a bit, there have been a number of discussions/tutorials/comparisons, it seems like if you push any of them really hard it sort of becomes a mixed bag no matter what, so probably more of a preference thing.

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 18, 2011 at 3:53:57 am

I understand what he's planning. In my opinion he should have the computer create the interpolated frames BEFORE dropping the frame rate. It seems to me more likely to create a good quality slo-mo. Check this out:

http://www.crumplepop.com/blog/?p=85

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 18, 2011 at 2:50:34 pm

Andy is right. If you look at older post someone ran a test and said not going to cinamatools looked way better. He did it both ways and did a side by side. I just did this in Motion only and it looked fantastic.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Chris Wiggles
on Aug 18, 2011 at 3:46:56 pm

Andy: can you elaborate on why? It shouldn't really make a difference either way...?

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]