APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion 4: Tracking a Moving mask...is it possible?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brute Wolf
Motion 4: Tracking a Moving mask...is it possible?
on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:34:01 am

I'm making a video for our church which is a knockoff of the E-Trade babies commercials. I have a segment of it done which you can see here:

http://www.vimeo.com/26897268 password "jaymack"

As you can see, I'm dealing with both a moving baby as well as a moving adult. To do this, I make a bezier mask around the adult's lips (actually the beard also in the example shown). Then I Analyze Motion using the baby's nostrils, and Match Move the masked adult lips to the desired location.

It worked fine on the first two that I did. I only arranged the mask control points (the red dots) every few frames, and had no problem.

But the third adult had a bit more side to side movement of their head. So instead of just grabbing the red points on the mask, sometimes I grabbed the entire mask (the white rectangle surrounding my red mask) and dragged it along with appropriate keyframes.

Now the lips properly track until it hits a point where I moved the white rectangle, where it goes off target. (It's still the adult mouth, but the adult mouth has slid up to the baby's cheek.) Is there any way of correcting this, short of only dragging control points throughout the keyframing process?

I think the problem is mild head movement by the adult while talking. (And that I just got lucky with the first one.)

So maybe(?) my question is, how can I take a moving masked image (the adult's lips) and stabilize it on top of another (well-tracked) image? (The baby's mouth.)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Motion 4: Tracking a Moving mask...is it possible?
on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:25:03 pm

Sounds like a lot of manual keyframing would be the simplest way. Sometimes you just have to muscle those keyframes.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Brute Wolf
Re: Motion 4: Tracking a Moving mask...is it possible?
on Aug 10, 2011 at 1:32:25 am

Thanks. Fortunately, the clip I'm using of the baby is a loop of him holding reasonably still. So "muscling those keyframes" has only been somewhat arduous, rather than grotesquely arduous. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]