APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion 5 Issues in PAL Land.

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil McClureMotion 5 Issues in PAL Land.
by on Aug 3, 2011 at 6:09:56 am

What ever respect I had for Apple is quickly evaporating… Motion 5 is the worst upgrade i have ever come across (or is that downgrade).

Issue 1.
Now this may be a PAL issue but the fade In/Fade Out behaviour does not work - A 25 frame fade in looks like a 12 frame fade in. In fact the whole clip looks to running at 50 fps to me.

Exported it again using custom setting (prores 422) and it seems to runs at correct speed

Issue 2.

Trimmed a clip in the Media - Timing- window to start, say 30 seconds in. The audio does not trim as well. Brilliant.

Issue 3.
Fonts in Motion different to those in FCPX so I'm forced to export clips as mov files.
ie Futura Bold in Motion. No Futura Bold in FCPX just Bold oblique. Mind you all published motion files in FCPX default to Helevetica anyway.

Issue 4.
They have totally stuffed up the interface, changed shortcuts, deleted some. Default preferences, window layouts are the opposite of what I would like and you can't change them

Very shoddy work.

FCPx I Motion 5 I Adobe CS5 I XDCAM EX1 I http://www.mcmm.com.au

Return to posts index

Andy NeilRe: Motion 5 Issues in PAL Land.
by on Aug 3, 2011 at 4:25:10 pm

Issue 1: Perhaps there's something wrong with your install, because I'm not seeing this issue at all. Fade In/Out works perfectly in PAL or NTSC.

Issue 2: I notice this issue when trimming the Timing parameter inside the Media tab of the inspector, but not if I use the Timing parameter in the Properties tab. This is an issue that existed in version 4, so it's not new to Motion 5.

Issue 3: Your font issue is with your font. FCP has always been picky about what fonts it recognizes, and when it doesn't, it's forced to substitute for another, usually a system font. Futura Bold is not an OS system font. I have a basic system set-up with no extra fonts, and my Futura set includes: medium, medium italic, condensed medium, and condensed extra bold. When I build a Title template in Motion from any of those fonts, they show up exactly as such in FCP X.

Issue 4: True, the interface has changed in Motion, but most of the shortcuts are what they were in previous versions. Not sure which ones you feel are missing or different. As for the rest, it's a matter of preference. I too would like some more control over how the interface displays, but in my case, it's very close to how I use it normally.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: Motion 5 Issues in PAL Land.
by on Aug 3, 2011 at 5:30:44 pm

Agreed with Andy on all points.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Neil McClureRe: Motion 5 Issues in PAL Land.
by on Aug 4, 2011 at 5:52:04 am

Yes maybe its how it was installed or perhaps it was the fact that I twiddled my thumbs the wrong way on installation.

Issue 1stiil exists, though maybe its a FCPx problem. If I export using Project Settings (ie Prores 444) the first dissolve pops on, export using prores 422 all is OK.. who knows.

Issue 2. Trimming using media - Yep you right. Though I'm glad Apple kept the Media timing "feature" from motion 4.

Issue 3. Fonts now work OK... though it's good to know that Motion is not so picky about fonts.

Issue 4. I had my shortcuts set to "Final Cut Pro Set" which is not a good idea. Hit the wrong button and weird things start happening.

Now the fact the layout works for you is fine. It does not suit me, but then again why do I need a second monitor anyway and maybe I should see the light and come around to Apples way.

Oh, and a new feature... when I render a project (at full resolution) the first piece of vision is corrupted, If I switch to half resolution all is well... must twiddle my thumbs the other way next time.

Yep, it probably is my system, but I must say I am concerned.

FCPx I Motion 5 I Adobe CS5 I XDCAM EX1 I http://www.mcmm.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]