APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Moton 5 Audio syncs on playback but not in render

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Smith
Moton 5 Audio syncs on playback but not in render
on Jul 28, 2011 at 4:10:24 pm

I ran into this problem with a previous project but I assumed it was a problematic file I had inherited. Now, starting fresh, the audio problems persist both on my MacPro and my new Thunderbolt 17" MacBook Pro.

This is a puzzlement.

I started with a three and a half minute on-camera of a guy in front of a green screen. I put the green-screen shot in, apply keying and export it as ProRes 422. Starting a new project I divide the video at every paragraph and put each paragraph into its own layer. Add a camera and mot each layer into a different part of the 3D universe and move the camera among the positions. All video looks great. Most audio works just fine. But, there three or four layers where the audio has major issues. From the first scene to the second the audio continues on for a few seconds although I unlocked the audio and shorted it to the end of the last word. No different. Plays perfect. Renders with audio continuing for a few seconds. A few scenes further down, on about three scenes in a row, the audio begins wildly out of sync and then suddenly 'catches'.

In experimenting, I'll uncheck the audio in either the outgoing or incoming clip and the plays as expected, but on render the audio is still there!

In another experiment, I uncheck the PREVIOUS audio to the outgoing audio being scrutinized and THEN the outgoing audio (which is the segment AFTER the audio that was unchecked) is silenced. On render, as usual, no audio has been turned off at all and again the new scene begins wildly out of sync and suddenly 'catches' after a few seconds.

I'm at my wits end.

Return to posts index

Jay Carr
Re: Moton 5 Audio syncs on playback but not in render
on Jul 29, 2011 at 5:23:05 pm

I ran into the same problem, and have on a couple projects. My only solution so far has been to use another editor to resync audio after exporting from Motion...

Return to posts index

Reinier deSmit
on Aug 20, 2011 at 5:48:18 am

Hi Don,

Well, I have run into almost the same thing at my end. I'm on a hi-end iMAC and shooting 1080p with my 5DmkII (trans'd over to ProRes LT). Green screen on the Motion 5 is AWESOME (the main reason for my upgrade choice). But when I went to cut the two sections of my video project together, the audio track from scene one kept running for almost 2 seconds into the second scene - even though I'd trimmed the audio in the timeline.

The frustrating thing was, in the actual app's timeline it played back perfectly, but upon actual rendering the edit got totally FUBAR'd.

So... I'm back to Motion 4 for now until they sort out some of these issues (there are more than just the sound issues, it seems now that I've dug a bit deeper in the forums out there. ;)

May Apple hear our prayers and may our suffering end soon!

Cheers,
Reinier

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Aug 20, 2011 at 10:10:10 am

I'm starting to think that the audio rendering problem with Motion 5 has to do with a conflict. Let me ask; do the two of you who posted the same problem also have Final Cut Studio 3 installed on the same computer?

When I took my new MBPro 17" Thunderbolt laptop, zeroed the drive, installed Lion, FCPX, Motion 5 and the new Compressor (and nothing else so far), that problem went away. It seems to me that the exporting problems of Motion 5 (and FCPX on that same machine) is the result of a conflict with something else.

Another piece of the puzzle is that the same output artifacts happen on a SECOND machine that, by the way, also has FCP Studio 3 on it as well.

I'm just trying to narrow this down by comparing notes.

Don Smith
NewsVideo.com

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Reinier deSmit
on Aug 20, 2011 at 12:55:02 pm

I've got the FCP 7 studio package (perhaps the package set is Called "studio 3"?)

I have not "upgraded" to FCPX yet.

-Rein

Return to posts index

Alexander Holzinger
on Aug 7, 2012 at 7:43:17 am

Hi Don, I do have exactly the same problem and I also have Final Cut Studio 3 installed.
Audio export in Motion 5 really fails in my environment.

Solutions appreciated :)

cheers,
Alex

Return to posts index

Matt Lawrence
on Sep 17, 2012 at 1:08:09 pm

Just discovered a similar problem myself but I don't have FCP3 installed on my system (nor did I ever), except for Soundtrack Pro 3. I'm on a brand new 15" MBP running the latest versions of Motion and FCPX.

My problem is that not all my audio layers are exporting; they just cut out and then audio picks up later. I have quite a few layers of short pieces of narration with separate audio clips interspersed, as well as video clips with their own audio tracks. Everything plays fine in Motion but when I export there are huge gaps. And if I export audio only the same gaps are there.

I actually prefer to do my audio editing in FCPX, completely replacing the Motion audio, but I use the Motion audio to sync the replacement clips. This is a major pain in the A!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]