APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

motion track and match move

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henrik Nordström
motion track and match move
on Jul 28, 2011 at 4:06:20 pm

Hello everyone!

I am fairly new to motion and have a question about motion tracking and match move.

I have one clip on a forest and sky and on still picture with a modelspaceship and greenscreen background on.

What I need to do is put these together. And because the forestvideo is moving I need to motion track that and send the data to the spaceship clip.

Now i wonder whats the best way to do this? I have tried with "four corners" and that workout great exept for that the size of the ship docent change when the camera zoom.

So how should I do this?

Henrik

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
Re: motion track and match move
on Jul 29, 2011 at 12:07:22 pm

Four Corners will distort your spaceship if your trackpoints move in relation to each other.
You're probably better off with a normal track, that uses two points and has Position, Scale and maybe Rotation turned on.

The Motion manual has a quite comprehensive chapter on motion tracking. Also Stephen Smith's "Moving With Motion" has a chapter that does exactly what you are trying to do. (Only with price tags instead of spaceships)

Return to posts index

Henrik Nordström
on Jul 29, 2011 at 12:58:34 pm

I tried with 2 tracking points as you said but unless I position the clip of the ship directly over the tracking point the movement gets all wrong. And its not often you find a good trackingpoint in the skie where I need the ship to bee.

Is there anyway I can move the ship away from the trackingpoint without movement issues? Hope you understand.

And thanks for the tip about the manual, will probably spend the most of the day reading it.

Henrik

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Aug 1, 2011 at 8:08:25 am

The Tracked object attaches at the anchor point.
That means you can move the anchor point of your spaceship to line up with the point you are using for your position track, that way you dont have to find track points in the sky.
The rotation/scale track point can be anywhere in you video, but it's a good idea to pick a point that is not too close to you position track point.
If you hold down the Alt key while moving the track points in the canvas, Motion will suggest good spots for placing track points.

Return to posts index

Henrik Nordström
on Aug 5, 2011 at 3:58:31 pm

well i dont know what i do wrong.

I put the background film with the paper in one group and the spaceship in another group. I applied match move to the spaceship and placed the trackers on the two dots on the paper.

I analyse it and choose it to match position, scale and rotation and this is what I get:

I looked at a massive amount of tutorials on the internet but none have been able to help me. most of the tutorials out there is only position or 4-point tracking witch I know how it works.

how can I solve this?

Henrik from Sweden

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Aug 6, 2011 at 9:00:11 pm

Hmmm, that seems odd.
Looks like a textbook example of something that's easy to track.
Can you put your video somewhere downloadable, then I'll take a pass at it.

Return to posts index

Henrik Nordström
on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:51:10 pm

I will do it as soon as i get home from my holiday, probably on sunday

Return to posts index

Henrik Nordström
on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:44:52 am

here is the files:

paper+ship:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K2GHL49T

ship:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GVTH49O0

paper (background)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y2VZA2WO

hope that you can take a look at it.

Henrik

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:48:48 pm

Hi Henrik

That was a very straightforward track.

paper spaceship match move

Since you didn't include your .motn file, I can't see why it wasn't working for you.
However my guess would be that you didn't move the anchor point of the spaceship to line up with the match move anchor position.
I have attached my Motion project so you can pick it apart and maybe find some answers that way.

2820_paperspaceship.zip

Return to posts index

Henrik Nordström
on Aug 18, 2011 at 5:08:57 pm

Man thanks a lot! I cant belive it was that simple, now im ready to begin with my spaceship movies=)

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Aug 18, 2011 at 7:02:56 pm

Cool, don't forget to share your results here, when you get that far.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]