APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Grow/shrink acting strangely (I think!)

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roli RivelinoGrow/shrink acting strangely (I think!)
by on Jul 22, 2011 at 10:49:11 am

Sorry to take up all the posting board with my problems, but I just have a grow/shrink question.

I have 3 circles with 3 letters inside, I've shrunk these down earlier in my timeline using grow shrink, everything fine there.

But now I want to grow them again and I've come across a problem.

I choose my rate of growth by adjusting the length of the behaviour bar and adjusting the parameters in my HUD.

That all works fine, but the problem is they don't stay big, as soon as the play head goes past the behaviour bar, they snap back down to small. The first grow shrink didn't do this and I can't work out why it's happening like this, this time around.

Just a note about the 1st grow/shrink, I thought I added it to the circles and letters as a group, but in my F5 window, it shows that it's just on the red circle (I have 3 circles), yet all 3 circles and letters within all shrink down in sync.

Any thoughts to what might have happened here, especially in the 1st instance.

http://www.rolirivelino.com/

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Zach ShoreRe: Grow/shrink acting strangely (I think!)
by on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:09:36 pm

No need to apologize for asking questions, that's why there's a forum. :)

What you are seeing is how the behavior works. Some of the behaviors in Motion need to extend to the end of the clip, otherwise the layer will return to it's previous state when the behavior ends. Grow shrink is one of these behaviors. I can't remember all of them that do this, but a good indicator is that it has an end offset behavior. End Offset works like a hold or stop for the behavior.

For example say you want to grow a clip, have it hold for a short period of time and then shrink back down, you can set it up like this.

-Apply a grow shrink behavior, Trim the in point to when you want it to start and then let leave the end of the behavior at the end of the layer.
-In the behavior increase the End Offset value to change when the grow stops.
- Apply another instance of the behavior. Again, trim the In point to when you want the shrink to begin. Leave the end of the behavior at the end of the layer.
-If you want it to hold, adjust the end offset for the second instance of the behavior.

One final tip, as you are getting used to working with behaviors, and while you set this one up, have the Keyframe editor open and the layer selected while working. Make sure it is set to Animated for the display. This way you will see the animation graph that the behavior is creating. It is really useful for understanding what your behavior is doing as well as for getting an idea of how behaviors combine.

"You can come push the buttons, or you can let me do my job."

Return to posts index

Roli RivelinoRe: Grow/shrink acting strangely (I think!)
by on Jul 22, 2011 at 11:04:22 pm

Wow, that's great Zach, thanks, I got round it by getting rid of grow shrink and key framing the scale, but that's handy to know as I'm just getting back into Motion after a little dabble some time ago.

Many thanks.

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Brendan GibbonsRe: Grow/shrink acting strangely (I think!)
by on Jul 23, 2011 at 4:13:30 pm

Here's another way of stopping you grow / shrink behaviour, or any other parameter from popping back to it's original scale.

Go to the end of where you grow shrink behaviour is trimmed to. Make sure you are parked on the last frame of the behaviour.

This behaviour is just driving the scale parameter in the inspector.

Head to the inspector for your layer, and go to the properties tab.

Right click / or control click on scale.

Select the "Stop" parameter from the pop-up window.

Your layer is now held at it's final size.

Now you can go along your timeline further and add another grow/shrink if you want the image to scale again.

Because you add another grow / shrink over the top of the stop behaviour, it will take priority.

Cheers,

Brendan

Return to posts index

Roli RivelinoRe: Grow/shrink acting strangely (I think!)
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 3:25:17 pm

Excellent, thanks Brendon

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200