APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Achieving this effect

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Gordon
Achieving this effect
on Jul 16, 2011 at 1:04:58 am

Just wondering how would you go about achieving this effect. My questions is regarding the way the videos come in separated from each other on each photograph and then join together to form the one video. Is it simply a matter of having six versions of the same video and then masking out around each photograph card or something more complex? My initial tests have come up with layers blocking each other out. I am using Motion 5.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
Re: Achieving this effect
on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:04:55 am

[Peter Gordon] "Is it simply a matter of having six versions of the same video and then masking out around each photograph card"

Yes, pretty much. Place the video in its final position and size and then duplicate it to create six copies. Put each copy in its own group, mask it down and add the white shape behind it so that you build up your final composition. Step a few seconds in (however long you want the actual move to last) and set position and rotation keyframes for all the groups to lock them in their final positions.

Then turn on keyframe recording, step back to the start, select the first group and move it off-screen, rotating it as well. Do the same for the other five, turn off keyframe recording and play.

The key to keeping it simple is to remember to animate the groups, not the individual layers within the groups.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 18, 2011 at 2:34:59 pm

Peter, I tried to respond to your e-mail. My response keeps bouncing back to me.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Peter Gordon
on Jul 19, 2011 at 2:57:35 am

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for trying to get back to me. I was asking about the multicultural business add you created. My question was just regarding how you exactly managed to achieve that connecting look with circles under the business people and lines connecting to the others to form the grid. That advertisment alone would make for a great tutorial.

Thanks

Peter

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 19, 2011 at 8:33:17 pm

To create the circles and lines in the multicultural business commercial I created the circles with the circle shape tool. Then I created the lines with the line shape tool. I made sure they where all in the same group. I lowered the opacity of the group. If they are not in the same group and you lower the individual pieces opacity you can see where the line and circle connect. Then I used the Write on behavior to animate the lines. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Peter Gordon
on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:50:05 pm

Thanks Stephen,

Yeah I can see how you did that. If you wouldn't mind, I would also love to know how you worked the cameras to achieve the effect of moving back and having the main shot become a poster on the sign in the new "set" and then the circle icons turn into the sun and essentially return to the original scene?

Sorry for all the questions but still learning motion and just trying to build my knowledge base and ability to hopefully one day be able to produce your standard of work.

Peter

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 20, 2011 at 2:49:53 pm

For the poster I had to cheat. Because the image is 3D, when the camera pulls away the image would not look flat and the people would keep moving because there is Z space separating the different images. So I go the the end of the move and exported out a still image of the poster. Then I created the next scene and started the camera on the poster and then revealed everything. So it is really two different project files. Hope that helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Peter Gordon
on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:13:43 pm

Thanks Stephen for taking the time to respond. You helped a great deal.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:32:51 pm

Happy to help and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved