APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

alpha transitions: how do you create a wipe matte?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elissa Mintz
alpha transitions: how do you create a wipe matte?
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:03:01 am

I'd like to use FCP 7's Alpha Transition feature to create a custom transition.

I've been researching (and experimenting) for hours now, and now know how to create two of the three required elements: the clip itself and the alpha matte for the clip.

But I don't know how to create a wipe matte. (And I'm assuming you'd create it in Motion, but maybe that's not true...)

Can anybody offer any help with creating wipe mattes? I saw one other thread here about creating that third element, but the discussion was over my head.

Many thanks for any advice you can give!

Elissa

Return to posts index

Jonan Grobler
Re: alpha transitions: how do you create a wipe matte?
on Aug 14, 2011 at 7:10:36 am

You do create it Motion. It's pretty simple, really. The wipe matte should be black and white:
- the white allows the first clip to show through;
- the black allows the next clip to show through.

So, for example, you could make a wipe matte that's a rectangle of black on the left, white on the right, sliding across frame from left to right (that's if your transition is moving from left to right). If you dropped it into the clip well, it would reveal footage on the right, moving across to the left, like a basic wipe that you get in FCP's effects folders.

If I knew more detail on the type of Alpha transition you want to make, I could give more constructive advice, having recently figured out how to do this for myself. It's pretty awesome.

Return to posts index

Douglas Odoh
on Oct 14, 2011 at 3:55:56 am

Hi Jonan,

I would really appreciate if you could tell me what to do hey.

I want to use a Logo for mine and I use motion 4.

Thanks plenty,

Doug.

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Oct 14, 2011 at 7:29:13 am

Hi all,

Travel mattes or static alpha mattes are one and the same. They both use black and white information to make things appear or to hide things. Just make a black and white movie that has objects movig in some sort of way that represents transition. Then render te movie and use it in FCP or any other program.

Return to posts index

Douglas Odoh
on Oct 14, 2011 at 7:45:42 am

Hi,
I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you talk me through it the way u did on ur website for the clip alpha matte?
It will make a lot difference cos I wanna make my own custom alpha transition with logos and stuff like that, if you know what I mean.

Thanks Zac,

Doug.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]