APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Can I use "Area Average" to link the brightness of video to the z rotation parameter in Motion 5

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robbert-Jan van der DoesCan I use "Area Average" to link the brightness of video to the z rotation parameter in Motion 5
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 11:55:20 am

Hi,

I've been through Mark Spencer's great tutorials on Motion 5 Rigging & Publishing for FCPX. That really opens a lot of possibilities.
I trying to make an effect that simulates the viewfinder of a classic SLR camera. I already managed to rig a focus slider but now I would like to link the z rotation of layer that represents the exposure meter needle to the average brightness of the video in the dropzone.
Is there a way to accomplish this in Motion 5?
I found some parameters in the Image Units category in the Library but I'm a bit puzzled about if and how I can use this.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Robbert-Jan

Return to posts index

Zach ShoreRe: Can I use "Area Average" to link the brightness of video to the z rotation parameter in Motion 5
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 7:48:28 pm

AFAIK, there's no option to convert image data into values that can drive the animation. Your best option is probably just to publish the Rotation control for the dial to FCPX. You could then adjust it while looking at the Histogram.

"You can come push the buttons, or you can let me do my job."

Return to posts index

Robbert-Jan van der DoesRe: Can I use "Area Average" to link the brightness of video to the z rotation parameter in Motion 5
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 8:05:33 pm

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your reply.
Bummer! It would be cool if it worked that way.
Anyway, I already incorporated a manual control for the rotation and I added an optional wiggle checkbox to give it some "liveliness".

I have posted the effect here, together with some screenshots: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/1806

Kind regards,

Robbert-Jan van der Does
lighting cameraman/steadicam operator/editor

WISIWYG (What I See Is What You Get)

Return to posts index

Zach ShoreRe: Can I use "Area Average" to link the brightness of video to the z rotation parameter in Motion 5
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:20:38 pm

Cool effect. Nicely done!

"You can come push the buttons, or you can let me do my job."

Return to posts index

Robbert-Jan van der DoesRe: Can I use "Area Average" to link the brightness of video to the z rotation parameter in Motion 5
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:31:03 pm

Thanks,

Maybe next week I'll try to make some alternative viewfinder displays like a modern DSLR with autofocus markers. You will then be able to select a different style in a dropdown list. I think however that the old analog viewfinder is the most appealing.

Kind regards,

Robbert-Jan van der Does
lighting cameraman/steadicam operator/editor

WISIWYG (What I See Is What You Get)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]