APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion 5 to FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Walker
Motion 5 to FCP X
on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:31:44 pm

I used Motion 5 as a stand-alone to key out a green screen on a project. However, I now need to deliver that project as a flash video with a transparent background.

Is it possible to use Motion 5 as a stand-alone, then send a project to FCP X. Is it even possible to export a FLV from FCP X? I'm starting to think it's not.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion 5 to FCP X
on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:55:26 pm

I do work with Flash guys on PCs and what they need is for you to export out the video as a Quicktime movie set to the animation codec. It must be millions +. They bring that into Flash and with minimal clicks have the footage with a transparent background. They then add the background they want and etc. and then they export it out as a compressed flash file. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Zach Shore
on Jul 6, 2011 at 8:05:56 am

You can use Motion 5 as a stand alone, you can render to a Quicktime and then import that into FCPX. Final Cut does not export to FLV. I'd follow Stephen's suggestions.

You can come push the buttons or you can let me do my job.

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jul 12, 2011 at 6:34:54 pm

Is the animation codec even an option in the new Motion 5?

Return to posts index

Zach Shore
on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:26:34 pm

I've got compressor installed an have been doing it through the "Export using Compressor Settings..." option.

"You can come push the buttons, or you can let me do my job."

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:41:29 pm

After some research I have found that all of the Pro Res will export an alpha channel, however the H.264 will not. So using the Pro Res will work, don't even need compressor.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:48:38 pm

Only ProRes 4444 supports an alpha channel.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:05:15 pm

Yep I'm an idiot, it's only the 4444. Thanks for the correction Mark.

Stephen -You would convert this to an FLV, then ship to your PC guy in this situation.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:52:32 pm

I find Apple Motion no longer supporting the Animation codec to be troubling. I thought Animation was created by Apple?

Please correct me if I’m wrong, I’m not a comprestionist, FLV is a compressed codec. Animation is uncompressed(if there was such a thing). If that is true you would never want to send a FLV file with an Alpha channel to a flash guy for the purpose of them placing it in their web site. The Flash person brings a video into Flash with an Alpha channel and adds a background, buttons and etc. It becomes part of the web site. (It is not like YouTube where you have as self contained movie, other wise you would not want an Alpha channel) When they are done they compress their Flash project for the web, thus the video file gets compressed twice. If I give them a FLV file I feel I'm giving them a video that is not the best quality.

Besides, in my case Animation has been a requirement for some projects. I can’t tell them Apple says the Animation codec stinks so let me send you something else.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:03:09 pm

ProRess 4444 will do an Alpha channel, but that is an Apple codec. The PC guys I've sent it to who have Quicktime said they can't work with it.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:05:13 pm

Sure you can use Animation - just send to Compressor and use any codec at all.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:13:13 pm

[Mark]

Sure you can use Animation - just send to Compressor and use any codec at all.

Last time I did a test doing a Send To Compressor it took twice as long compared to just going straight out of Motion. To make things worse, FCP7 send to Compressor depending on the project could take hours longer. Why would Apple give a user less option then they had before? Is this to sell more copies of compressor?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]