APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCPX round trip to Motion 5 for stabilisation?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Smith
FCPX round trip to Motion 5 for stabilisation?
on Jun 26, 2011 at 11:31:01 am

Does anybody know what the appropriate procedure is for using stabilisation in Motion?

This all seems really tatty at the moment and because of that I must assume that I'm doing something wrong.

Firstly, all my media is ingested into FCPX and Transcoded to ProRes - OK, it's in that event library now, nicely grouped by all my keywords.

Now, I want to get that media into Motion - the only way I can see of doing it is to reveal the media in the finder from FCPX, note the file name and then create a project based on that file in Motion.. incidentally I couldn't find a way of changing the project duration in Motion once it has been set. Changing it on the project settings just seems to be ignored and reverts back to the default.

Right, now I add a stabiliser, run through everything and then I have to do what? Do I publish this one off back into FCPX where it is neither nicely confined to a project or a set of events, it lives in a global area where my other effects live and that sounds like it's going to clutter things up when I've done with this project.

I'm sure I've grossly misunderstood the steps needed to use Motion to round trip a clip for stabilisation if anybody has any pointers then I would love to hear them.

Regards,

Andy

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: FCPX round trip to Motion 5 for stabilisation?
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:11:00 pm

You haven't misunderstood anything - I believe you are meant to use the stabilization tools built directly into FCP X - they are based on the same underlying technology.

But the process of sending clips to Motion that we were used to in FCP7 and Motion4 does not currently exist in FCPX/Motion5 - hopefully it will be added.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Andy Smith
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:20:58 pm

Thanks Mark, I'll need to dig around at that end a little further then.

I have let FCPX analyse stabilisation but it's crude and it's not having any noticeable effect on this clip so I though that nailing some tracking points in Motion would be the best approach. The stabilisation in FCPX seems to be based on automated Dominant Motion analysis that you can't do much with to customise (as far as I can see).

The only thing I can really think of as the best solution for this is to output as a separate clip directly from Motion, bring it back into the events in FCPX and add it to the project again. This isn't really how I want to work and it's going to use a lot of disk space doing this kind of thing.

I'm just wondering if the integration will arrive when Lion launches...?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:58:08 pm

I hope so but we'll just have to wait and see.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Brian Pistone
on Apr 29, 2014 at 11:14:33 am

Is there an update on this? I think it's silly to hide the files so you can't see them from the motion browser without revealing, copying and pasting to a new folder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]