APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion and After effects -Photoshop compatibility

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachaloMotion and After effects -Photoshop compatibility
by on Jun 25, 2011 at 4:53:25 pm

Hi
My understanding is that the newest Motion can open layered Photoshop files. What about After Effects?
Is a AE to Motion or vice versa workflow possible? Will Motion open an AE project?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Mark SpencerRe: Motion and After effects -Photoshop compatibility
by on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:34:25 pm

Motion has been able to open layered Photoshop files as individual layers (with the same layer names as in Photoshop) for years - I believe back to version 2, if not 1. So has AE.

Motion will not open an AE project. Sometimes AE can open a Motion project as a single layer in the AE project if you rename the Motion project extension to .mov - haven't tried it w/M5 yet...

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

David CabestanyRe: Motion and After effects -Photoshop compatibility
by on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:36:03 pm

After Effects has been able to open layered psd files for a long time. It can even open layered files with live 3d layers on them.

Haven't used Motion so I can't tell you if it will be opening AE projects, seems unlikely.

Since Photoshop and After Effects are both Adobe, making them talk to each other is seamless, very easy. I don't think that's the case with Motion and Photoshop.

If your question is directed to which one you should buy, I'd say After Effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]