APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCP7 and Motion 5

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Pugh
FCP7 and Motion 5
on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:16:36 pm

Before I upgrade - can anyone confirm whether Motion 5 roundtrips with FCP7 , in the same way Motion 4 does?

Thanks,

Ken.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: FCP7 and Motion 5
on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:17:27 pm

It does not.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Ken Pugh
on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:28:21 pm

Thanks - but that's a shame - I use motion for all my titles in FCP7 - but FCPX doesn't give me many of the edit tools I need at present - so I'll stick with Motion 4 until FCPX gets revamped....

Cheers,

Ken.

Return to posts index

Jimmylee Remillard
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:59:24 pm

Change is hard but without change you can't make a dollar.

Return to posts index

Ken Pugh
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:22:41 pm

Perhaps, if it's change for the better - but if you want that discussion here's the place:

http://forums.creativecow.net/finalcutprox

But be warned you'll be heavily outnumbered!

Ken.

Return to posts index

stu aull
Re: FCP7 and Motion 5 - more Qs
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:03:20 pm

May I jump in here and ask this:
1) ignoring round-tripping,
can I buy/use Motion 5 as a stand-alone to create graphics, render them out THEN import finished projects into FCP7?
2) does M5 recognize M4 projects?
3)does loading M5 DELETE M4 or can they co-exist, like FCP7 and X?
thanks
Stu Aull

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:22:36 pm

Stu

-Yes
-Yes
-No

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:31:37 pm

Stephen is right on - in fact, if you think about it, Motion 5 is absolutely the deal of the century.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Jimmylee Remillard
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:08:47 am

I do just what your asking.

Mark said it best, Motion 5 is seriously the greatest buy I have seen to date.

Jimmylee Remillard
Partner / Production Manager
iMotion Video Corp.

Return to posts index

Alan McCormick
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:47:55 am

I will "fourth" that! Is that a real word?

I have not jumped on the FCP X bandwagon just yet and will leave it for a while till it gets the tender attention that it needs to make it a workable editing platform (for me). I am more than happy with FCP 7.

Motion 5 at £29.99 (UK) is a steal and you can use it alongside Motion 4 (see Apples site http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4722?viewlocale=en_US bottom section for tips on doing so).

For me so far it seems quicker but more testing needed. The advantage is I can get used to the new interface for the price of a few pizzas and just export as a movie and drop into FCP 7.

Alan

Regards

Alan

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:30:39 pm

[Alan]

The advantage is I can get used to the new interface for the price of a few pizzas and just export as a movie and drop into FCP 7.

The ability to round trip is what got me interested in Motion in the first place. Exporting out my projects doesn't sound nice to me. I don't think Motion is the problem, I just think FCPX is missing some key features that FCP7 has. When I get time to breath I'll start playing around with it on my personal computer.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Alan McCormick
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:55:43 pm

Stephen, I totally agree with you for obvious reasons but I was just showing a work around until hopefully the round-tripping is brought back.

Alan

Regards

Alan

Return to posts index

Ken Pugh
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:10:30 pm

Motion 5 looks great - but if you can't send media from FCP7 and you cant import Motion 5 projects into FCP7 then its just like any other app. As a standalone sure its great, but I'm not a power user - I like to use the stabilisation and tracking features, and the titling (RIP Livetype) I use the scaling functions, PIP that kind of stuff, things FCP can't do so well and things that are not so complex I'd use AE (only 'cos I know it best) - so personally I'll unfortunately have to stick with Motion 4 and the ability to roundtrip - it's a massive timesaver.

Best,

Ken.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:33:17 pm

I agree that the roundtripping is a huge hole, but when you say it is a standalone app you are missing a major change in how Motion is being used in FCP X. Every single title, transition, effect, and generator in FCP X - either the hundreds of existing ones available in FCP X's effects browsers, or ONES YOU MODIFY OR CREATE - are Motion projects. Motion, besides being a great standalone motion graphics app (heck new keyer alone is worth the $50 IMHO), is now the development platform for creating fx for FCP X. That is a huge deal because it gives everyone access to creating titles, transition, and effects for FCP X - and the rigging and publishing features extend that capability even further.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Matt Gal
on Jun 25, 2011 at 7:01:50 am

Mark,

I agree that the Motion FX and Transitions are great. Creating a Motion FX with published drop shadow controls was the only way I could see to add a drop shadow to a Chroma Key that I needed to do in FCP. I didn't want to do the key in motion because I wanted the flexibility to trim and reposition the clip on the timeline.

Anyway I am sure you were aware that was possible.

I am here to ask, "Do you have to create the Motion FX project with the same frame size and frame rate as the FCP project it is intended to be used with" also "Does the duration matter in the Motion FX project"

These are all questions I could possibly answer by experimenting or reading the manual but am more than happy to receive a reply saying it is covered in your tutorials.

Regards

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:58:48 pm

Matt,

In Motion 5, you have the capability to create Display Aspect Ratio Snapshots,or DARS - for example, create a 16-9 first, then make a 4:3 version. You adjust all your elements for each DARS as needed, and they are stored in that snapshot.

In FCP X, when you add the Motion project to a project, it will then automatically adjust for that DAR.

Duration of Motion projects do matter to some extent but they are managed mostly by build in, build out, and loop markers, and for Transitions, an FCP override option.

And yes, all these subjects are covered in my tutorial - specifically the one on Rigging and Publishing in Motion 5.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:13:47 pm

[Alan]
I was just showing a work around until hopefully the round-tripping is brought back.

I sure hope it does.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]