Nvidia + Motion: much slower than motion 4

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesus Hernandez RuizNvidia + Motion: much slower than motion 4
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:59:40 pm

Hi

I have bought Motion 5 and I´m a bit surprised about some results in my MBP:

MBP mid 2010: Core i5 2,6 ghz, 8 gb, GT 330M 256 mb
In all the projects I´ve tested Motion 4 is about 50-60% faster than Motion 5. Not only in the final render, but also during the process of creating the project, Motion 5 runs much slower than Motion 4.

On the other hand, with a base iMac 2010 (Core i3 3,06 ghz, 8 gb and a Radeon 4670 with 256 mb) Motion 5 is between 20-25% faster than Motion 4.

The iMac has always been about 20% faster than the MBP with Motion 4. Now, with Motion 5 my MBP takes the double of the time than the iMac to render the projects.

I have installed OSX last week and everything seems to work normally except Motion 5. Do I have to think that Motion 5 will never run well anymore on Nvidia´s GPUs and buying a new MBP?

Anyone having the same issues?

Return to posts index

Stefan BuhrmesterRe: Nvidia + Motion: much slower than motion 4
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:06:07 am

Not really. I too have a MBP mid 2010 with GT330 512 MB. Motion 5 loads much faster than Motion 4. Usage and rendering speed pretty much the same.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Nvidia + Motion: much slower than motion 4
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:26:32 pm

Neither of those seem like much Texture RAM to run Motion to me. And I think Motion 5 may rely even more on the GFX hardware than previous builds....But I'm not to techie on how much motion leverages GFX hardware.

Alex

Return to posts index

Jesus Hernandez RuizRe: Nvidia + Motion: much slower than motion 4
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:09:41 pm

Stefan Buhrmester:

Can you do some tests with the Pulse-Open? In Motion 5 with motion blur and normal quality it takes 7:00 minutes (yesterday it was "only" 6:00). Motion 4 needs only 3:34 minutes.
The strange thing is that the render seems to begin at normal speed and it becomes more and more slower.

Alex Udell:

I have no doubt that these are not the greatest Macs to run Motion, but the problem I´m having is not normal at all: with my iMac I get better results with Motion 5 and with the MBP I have doubled my render times.

Update:
Even more strange:
Doing a ram preview with the project and the same settings:
Motion 5: 2:51 minutes
Motion 4: 3:24 minutes

Something doesn´t work in the right way when doing the final render... I´m going to try to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Return to posts index

Jesus Hernandez RuizRe: Nvidia + Motion: much slower than motion 4
by on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:17:33 pm

After installing Snow Leopard again the problem remains. I hope that Lion will fix that (or better: a simple Update for Motion).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]