COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesus Hernandez Ruiz
Nvidia + Motion: much slower than motion 4
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:59:40 pm

Hi

I have bought Motion 5 and I´m a bit surprised about some results in my MBP:

MBP mid 2010: Core i5 2,6 ghz, 8 gb, GT 330M 256 mb
In all the projects I´ve tested Motion 4 is about 50-60% faster than Motion 5. Not only in the final render, but also during the process of creating the project, Motion 5 runs much slower than Motion 4.

On the other hand, with a base iMac 2010 (Core i3 3,06 ghz, 8 gb and a Radeon 4670 with 256 mb) Motion 5 is between 20-25% faster than Motion 4.

The iMac has always been about 20% faster than the MBP with Motion 4. Now, with Motion 5 my MBP takes the double of the time than the iMac to render the projects.

I have installed OSX last week and everything seems to work normally except Motion 5. Do I have to think that Motion 5 will never run well anymore on Nvidia´s GPUs and buying a new MBP?

Anyone having the same issues?

Return to posts index

Stefan Buhrmester
Re: Nvidia + Motion: much slower than motion 4
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:06:07 am

Not really. I too have a MBP mid 2010 with GT330 512 MB. Motion 5 loads much faster than Motion 4. Usage and rendering speed pretty much the same.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:26:32 pm

Neither of those seem like much Texture RAM to run Motion to me. And I think Motion 5 may rely even more on the GFX hardware than previous builds....But I'm not to techie on how much motion leverages GFX hardware.

Alex

Return to posts index

Jesus Hernandez Ruiz
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:09:41 pm

Stefan Buhrmester:

Can you do some tests with the Pulse-Open? In Motion 5 with motion blur and normal quality it takes 7:00 minutes (yesterday it was "only" 6:00). Motion 4 needs only 3:34 minutes.
The strange thing is that the render seems to begin at normal speed and it becomes more and more slower.

Alex Udell:

I have no doubt that these are not the greatest Macs to run Motion, but the problem I´m having is not normal at all: with my iMac I get better results with Motion 5 and with the MBP I have doubled my render times.

Update:
Even more strange:
Doing a ram preview with the project and the same settings:
Motion 5: 2:51 minutes
Motion 4: 3:24 minutes

Something doesn´t work in the right way when doing the final render... I´m going to try to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Return to posts index

Jesus Hernandez Ruiz
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:17:33 pm

After installing Snow Leopard again the problem remains. I hope that Lion will fix that (or better: a simple Update for Motion).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]