APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion 5 Standalone?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Warren
Motion 5 Standalone?
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:27:51 pm

It appears from the tech specs on the Apple site that Motion 5 can be operated as a standalone application; no FCP required. Can anyone confirm this? Presumably you can create and save out projects wholly within Motion and export them as QTs or whatever.

For those of use not using FCP, this would be a great product at a fantastic price.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Motion 5 Standalone?
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:28:23 pm

Yes that's correct, you can buy it and use it alone.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Jay Carr
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:31:47 pm

Not only does it stand alone, but it does it pretty stinking well. The only thing I really used FCP for was keying, and with the new Key filter in Motion 5 I hardly need FCP for my current projects. Plus the share options have been beefed up, so you can do a quality job outputting now...

Return to posts index

Stefan Buhrmester
on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:43:47 am

Yes. Motion 5 is incredible value for a tiny amount of money. With all the current Apple hate that is going on, I have to say that they did an awesome Job with Motion.

Return to posts index

Jimmylee Remillard
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:23:34 am

My company has always used Motion 4 (now 5) as a stand alone product. Never going to FCP for anything. We make Web Commercials and needless to say we do very well ourselfs.
Motion has always stomped the sh#t out of AE when it comes to building motion graphics based on audio and the speedy playbacks with no rendering.
Now with Motion 5 we can upgrade our employees work stations for $50 not $1000, we can work even faster (aside from a few behaviors like gather in not working) and we also no longer need to go into after effects for Key Light. This in turn is well worth the purchase atleast 4x over. Anyone that complains about Motion 5 is out of their mind, for the price difference AE cant even touch Motion.

Last thing is I hope this $50 price tag opens the eyes of the industry so we can have the much needed community that After Effects has. We need plugins like Optical Flares and Particular. Knoll light flare (which doesnt work for Motion 5) was a GPU hog and was unusable. Every plugin i have used so far has been either crap or it is such a resorce hog that it is not worth the time.

TLDR: Motion 5 is amazing and the price tag makes it even more amazing. Soon after effects with have a serious competitor.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:41:45 pm

Yep we're 99% motion here too. FCP is used to slate spots.

I will say that I would miss send to motion....because sometimes it's easier to build a skeleton in FCP...

how about this as a work around...FCP send to Motion 4..then open the motion 4 project in Motion 5?

Alex

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:46:36 pm

Alex, if you do that then you have to build your "skeleton" in FCP7. Plus, the extra step. But I guess a work around is better then nothing. I use the Send To motion option a lot so I just don't understand why they took that feature away.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:08:06 pm

For the light amount of editorial we do....there is little benefit to FCPX.

Probably won't bother with it.

As far as send to motion...I think it's more than likely that they didn't get to it.

I hear there's also no XML export support. That will break a large number of pipelines.

I can't believe that they want to do that...I think it's more a case of...they needed to release something and it will be re-implemented in a future release.

this is a whole new build after all...

Alex

Return to posts index

Jimmylee Remillard
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:58:14 pm

Hey Stephen,

As of right now we don't use FCP7 for anything but moving forward we will be adding a lot of live action shots to our workflow and using FCPX will be where we go. The only two things I can think of is, people haven't found how to "send to Motion" yet or they will be adding it in shortly. There is no way a company so indulged in "It all just works" philosophy would leave their main editing suite out of the loop.

Stephen have you tried to use any other workflows aside from what "used" to work. I know when Cubase (my audio editor) did their big switch to the future, it was hard / annoying and really frustrating to adapt a new workflow to the new Cubase SX. But now, I look back and it is really for the better, everything they did made it so much easier and faster in the long run. It does take time though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]