APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

It's out and it's $50!

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Carr
It's out and it's $50!
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:04:16 pm

And I'm downloading it right now. I'm on a shoe string budget, so I get to figure out how Motion 5 works with FCP 7... But at least I have a 64-bit version of Motion now ;-).

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: It's out and it's $50!
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:05:55 pm

Let us know what you figure out/

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:18:03 pm

This may help:

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/smartin/story/motion_5_top_5_new_fea...

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:28:46 pm

Does anyone know if older filters (compatible with Motion 4) will still work in 5? Or are we going to have to update those too?

-Grant Gomm
http://www.blacklionproductions.com

Return to posts index

Eric Lochstampfor
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:47:19 pm

Was also wondering if it's possible to update a version of motion older than 4? Can you update from 3 directly to 5?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:50:04 pm

No upgrade price, it is $49.99 for everyone.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:51:03 pm

You aren't "updating" the app at all - they live side by side. And Motion 5 can open Motion 3 projects.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:18:41 pm

Grant,
My purchased plug-ins do not work with Motion 5. I'm not happy.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:26:49 pm

oh no! That's what I was afraid of... :(

-Grant Gomm
http://www.blacklionproductions.com

Return to posts index

PJ Palomaki
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:00:14 pm

Has .ai/pdf import changed in Motion 5? Does it bring in the layers now?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:03:00 pm

No change.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

PJ Palomaki
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:04:05 pm

Grr. Wouldn't think it would be a massive addition..

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:08:18 pm

Seems like they really didn't add a whole lot.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:21:32 pm

The primary addition is the Rigging and Publishing capabilities - which are huge. Other than that, it's almost all the same - nice new keyer (very nice) and a few other small things.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Jay Carr
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:51:56 pm

If I'm honest, I would have paid $50 just for the the fact that it's 64-bit and uses GCD. Everything else is pure icing at that point, frankly. Really looking forward to working with rigging too...

btw, Mark, how long have you had the new Motion? I only have to ask because you got those instructional videos up so stinking fast... ;-).

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Jun 21, 2011 at 9:51:09 pm

Finally it has arrived. I do not know what to think of it until I had a little play.But from what I read and seen today my opinion is as follows:

Price is very good, features not so. Sorry Apple I think you need to be doing some research with customers before you build another program. Still no support for layered Illustrator files is somewhat of a BIG MISS. I know Apple and Adobe have their problems, but not to have a support for a layered Illustrator file is in my opinion a mistake.
What happened to all the composting features from Shake, better Keyer is not enough. Rig tool seem OK, I do have to give it a go. What about stroke in 3d, really 3d. What about those people who would like to do character animation, no chance of that I take it. Oh Well, maybe with Motion 8 or 10. I bet most of my filters would be not working. (Who can afford to buy filter you already purchased for Motion 4, I am sure some will work but I bet majority will not.

I have not even mentioned the stability, I hope they did much better job with 5 than 4, as we know 4 was very unstable.

I honestly expected more, much more.-(

I would have taken all those things I mentioned above instead of a new GUI any day of the week.

No wonder people do not like to switch to Motion from After Effects.
After Effects is stable, great effects and filters, and you can do amazing things.

Apple I am loosing patience. GET IT TOGETHER.

I wonder where is all this profit going to.-)

Return to posts index

Jay Carr
on Jun 21, 2011 at 10:03:52 pm

I respect your point of view, but I think something needs to be made clear before comments like this become a bit to prevalent. I've seen them on the FCPX threads, I'd hate to see them here too,

Motion 5 was a total and complete re-write of Motion, not just a skinning job. They were switching frameworks from the old Carbon standard (used in OS9 and before) to the much newer and much better Cocoa frameworks (OSX and beyond, including iOS). They had to re-write tens of thousands of lines of code just to bring Motion 5 up to the same standard as Motion 4.

Frankly, I would have been more than pleased if they had simply given me the exact same program in Cocoa. Why? Because re-writing 7 years worth of code is a ridiculous task to ask of anyone. But not only did Apple completely re-write everything, they added a few new features that really needed to be addressed. Things like 64-bit processing and GCD compliance. Which will do far more for most of our workflows than we will ever actually appreciate.

And no, they didn't get to all of them, but they will. Just give it some time.

All I'm saying is I hope people will try to realize the humungous amount of work that went into simply making this program on par with the previous version. Trust me, this isn't a simple skinning job, it's a complete re-write. So bear that in mind when you're evaluating it.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 21, 2011 at 10:14:47 pm

Thank you. I've been trying to say the same thing elsewhere. Motion 5 is having a better time of it (people complaining) than FCP X, but it's hard to explain that to people with their fingers in their ears.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

PJ Palomaki
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:05:00 am

I think I fall somewhere in the middle here - I think Cocoa, GCD, 64-bit, GPU utilisation to name a few are an amazing feat for an update, but I think layered illustrator/pdf files should've ABSOLUTELY been added long time ago, especially since the PDF format has been established for and hardly unchanged in years. One can only hope it in the future update(s).

Also would love to see some real 3D but I think this will probably never happen, I guess we always have Cinema 4D for that..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]