APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Corrupted and blocky artifacts on layer

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adamo MaisanoCorrupted and blocky artifacts on layer
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 4:48:36 pm

I have a replicator layer using a Write-On path animation as a source. To complicate things more, the animated path is masked by a PNG image, made up of various dots through which the path can be seen.

For the first few days, I had zero trouble rendering - the results of the RAM preview, real-time render, and output files were crystal clear and sharp.

However, after several days of tweaking other layers, suddenly the replicator layer is exhibiting corrupted areas that appear blocky as certain parts pass the camera. Changing the render mode only worsens the corruption, which looks similar to when a video card is overheating.

However, I'm fairly certain my video card is not over-heating.

I've tried flattening the layer, making it 2D, but nothing helps. What's worse is that the final, top-quality output video looks just as bad as realtime in this respect.

Has anyone experienced this?

If it helps, it seems the worst corruption happens when the flat plane of the image mask is seen at 90° to the camera - the point at which the element is seen at perfect profile and almost disappears.

Please see images.

IDEAL
Originally this is what it looked like regardless of the render setting. Currently, it only looks like this on "Normal."

----

PROBLEMS
This is the corruption that sneaks in at random places now, and is amplified when rendered at "Best" quality. Note the replicator strands to the right are blocky.

----
System
----

2011 MacPro 6-core 3.33 GHz Xeon
12GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770 x16 w/1GB VRAM

Return to posts index

Adamo MaisanoRe: Corrupted and blocky artifacts on layer
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:26:24 pm

Update: I tried using the same replicator without an image mask, and the corruption is easily visible now, regardless of render quality:

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Corrupted and blocky artifacts on layer
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:29:40 pm

If you haven't tried setting the float depth to 32 bit, that might be the answer.

Nice design BTW!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:20:19 pm

Hi Simon. Thanks for the tip - unfortunately it didn't work on either machine.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:19:03 pm

Update: I installed Motion 4 on my 2010 MBP and rendered with the same settings.

Instead of the blocky artifacts, those replicator elements completely disappeared. However, besides that it was perfect.

I turns out, at least on my MBP, turning off the Bloom filter on the replicator's source path brought back the missing replicator elements. I tried applying this fix to the MacPro, but the artifacts remained, making me think it is some shortcoming with floating points and/or the video card subsystem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]