APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

can't get Motion defaults to "stick"

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tad newberry
can't get Motion defaults to "stick"
on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:04:50 pm

i'm in the process of finishing a full reinstall of all system software and this has plagued me before but i never figured it was a big enough deal to ask about. i'm getting most of the defaults to set up in Motion 4, except for canvas window size and background (not canvas) color. it always defaults to black, and i would really like a medium gray, but it never "sticks". any ideas? even saving the layout as a window layout, it doesn't want to save the canvas size nor its color.

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: can't get Motion defaults to "stick"
on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:27:42 pm

Hi Tad

You want to be setting the color via: Motion/Preferences/Project/Default Settings/Background Color for it to "stick". Is that what you've tried? Works for me ... Maybe you're doing it via the Project Preferences (Cmd J) which won't make a default.

I could be wrong but I'm not sure there's a way to fix the zoom size for the canvas, if that's what you mean.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:55:43 pm

Ya, i use the same path for BG color and the oddest thing is THAT selector doesn't change anything. I just tried it again...made the BG pink, close the window, and my BG stays black. But it does change when i go to Edit/Proj Prop/BG color, though i do realize that only affects the current project and not the default. This is a brand new install, too, but i guess i'll trash ye olde prefs and see if it changes. Really no big deal, but just very curious why that one selector isn't doing anything here...

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:25:46 pm

Hmmm, yeah - I reckon there's an anomaly there. The background color you set in the Motion preferences is only visible if you set the Project prefs to show Solid rather than Transparent BG color (and you can't set that as a default obviously) and then it's going to affect your alpha channel as well. Whereas, as you say, when you set it in the Project prefs it shows up either way.

Good luck with your quest!

I have to say I'm intrigued to know why you want to set your background color to anything except black ...? I'm sure you've got a good reason!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:30:51 pm

Ya, it looks like i'm just trying to do something it won't do. trashed prefs, no change. i like a BG other than black (and yes, keeping it fully transparent) because when i use either black letters, or even a dark/black border around letters, or a shadow, you can't see what it looks like unless you then change the color of the BG. I was just hoping to default it to a medium gray or even a muted pukey green or yellow, but no go. Oh well...

I suppose i could make a template and then open that each time...hey...got an idea...back in a minute -

Though it won't open to a specific project, i did succeed in saving a template with a medium gray BG, though the canvas size still defaults to HUGE rather than where i left it. I set the Prefs/General to "Browse Templates" and made this one the only one in a template folder called "00 Defaults" (so it would be at the top of the list). Then this default project is the only one selectable on the right pain, enter, and voila. Maybe it only saves a few seconds on each new project, but golly i almost feel smart today! I also saved this "DefaultHD" project with my specific window layout (canvas size, F5, F6, etc.) so it opens exactly like i usually set up each new project anyway. Maybe this will someone else, too. : )

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 20, 2011 at 9:53:48 am

Nice solution! I'll be stealing that, thanks!

It's good to see that borderline geeky obsessiveness can pay off ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:16:28 pm

who you calling, "borderline?" my family would say i've already gone over the edge...

: )

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:10:47 pm

hahaha. you should hear what my family say about me ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]