APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Template Creation Problem

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig SwansonTemplate Creation Problem
by on Jun 13, 2011 at 7:55:31 am

I have a template I'm setting up for a tennis graphic that we use daily in FCP. Right now everything works fine and this is how we set up the scores for a 3 set match:

But now we want to colorize the winning set yellow like this:

How would everyone tackle this? The set boxes colored would change with just about every match we do (a news highlight show). And During grand slams the matches are 5 sets. That's a lot of different color combinations.

I was thinking a drop zone to change the colors but I'm not sure that will work as I'm not experienced using those.

In an ideal situation I would like the default color of the set boxes to be white. Then all I would need to do is drop a yellow solid onto my drop zone to change the winning set in fcp. Am I on track here? Can drop zones even contain a default color? If anyone has some tips let me know. I'd also like to hear if anyone else uses Motion templates in a sports show with lots of result boards.

Macbook Pro 17
2.6 ghz
4 gigs ram
GeForce 8600 GT 512 mb
Caldigit HDOne Raid 5
QT 7.6.3 / QT 10.0
FCS, CS4 Production

Return to posts index

Jeff GreenbergRe: Template Creation Problem
by on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:19:30 am

I can think a bunch of ways to skin the cat here....

Is the background of the numbers a solid? If so, why not create a gradient (of one color) and drag and drop that?

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Craig SwansonRe: Template Creation Problem
by on Jun 14, 2011 at 8:53:49 am

Yes I think that's the best way for what I'm doing. Though my original background was a custom shape with a gradient fill. I couldn't get that to be my source for the drop zone, so I exported it as a PNG and then use that as my source. Everything should work well once I have it set up.

Macbook Pro 17
2.6 ghz
4 gigs ram
GeForce 8600 GT 512 mb
Caldigit HDOne Raid 5
QT 7.6.3 / QT 10.0
FCS, CS4 Production

Return to posts index

Jeff GreenbergRe: Template Creation Problem
by on Jun 14, 2011 at 2:59:49 pm

For the future - any still/video can become a drop zone. (look on the 4th tab of the inspector.)
Basically it permits a swap of another element in a more user friendly method (than a standard replace.)

Also, if you save the motion project as a TEMPLATE, the drop zones are replaceable in FCP.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Roman VolfsonRe: Template Creation Problem
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:13:18 pm

Hi Craig
I am looking score template for Tennis.
My son playing tennis and i do have his video.
i am editing in FCP x . I need template to add score.
Where can i get them.
Thanks
Roman

Return to posts index

by on Feb 15, 2012 at 10:46:30 pm

Roman,

I had to make my templates in Motion as I couldn't find any. Here are two examples I've done:

Are these what you are looking for? I'm on Final Cut 7 and don't even know if Final Cut X is able to use Motion templates anymore.

Macbook Pro 17
2.6 ghz
4 gigs ram
GeForce 8600 GT 512 mb
Caldigit HDOne Raid 5
QT 7.6.3 / QT 10.0
FCS, CS4 Production

Return to posts index

Roman VolfsonRe: Template Creation Problem
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 11:04:51 pm

Craig
I am looking something like that.
I am editing my son matches and want to add score line.
Your templates look great.
i would like to have it if its possible.
Are you tennis fun or working for Tennis Channel?
Thanks
Roman

Return to posts index

by on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:45:06 am

Roman,

Here you go:

3715_hdlower3rdscoresgift.motn.zip

3716_hdfullpagescores1matchgift.motn.zip

These are motion 4 files. Again, not sure if they work in FCPX. You should be able to open the motion file and you'll see the graphics I built. You can delete the score boxes to make the matches 3 sets if you want. I took out the Tennis Channel logo. I do work for them and that's why I built these samples, but we never used them for on-air.

Once the motion file is open, go to File>save as template. Name it whatever and it should be automatically saved to the proper place. Then open FCP and you should be able to access that template for use in your videos. Not sure where that would be in FCPX. FCP 7 it's under the Effects menu I believe. Good luck.

Craig

Macbook Pro 17
2.6 ghz
4 gigs ram
GeForce 8600 GT 512 mb
Caldigit HDOne Raid 5
QT 7.6.3 / QT 10.0
FCS, CS4 Production

Return to posts index

amir ibrahimRe: Template Creation Problem
by on Jan 2, 2014 at 9:09:20 pm

hi Roman , did the 2 zip files worked for you , i tried to import it in motion 4.1 and it says missing Media , please let me know how did you make it work ?thanks

Return to posts index

by on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:20:04 pm

hi Craig , i tried your template in motion 5.1 but it says missing media , can you please resend the zip file again containing the media files, thanks a lot

Return to posts index

by on Jan 3, 2014 at 8:48:51 pm

Hi Amir,

Unfortunately, I can't find the files I used to create that project. I looked all over my computer and drives with no luck. I don't work at the Tennis Channel anymore so don't have access to their drives. We only developed this as a sample but it never got approved for air.

Craig

Macbook Pro 17
2.6 ghz
4 gigs ram
GeForce 8600 GT 512 mb
Caldigit HDOne Raid 5

Return to posts index

by on Jan 3, 2014 at 11:33:00 pm

hello Craig , Thanks for replaying i just disable the missing media and custom the rest , and it work fine now , thanks a lot

Amir

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]