APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Shockwave displacement

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh PaulsonShockwave displacement
by on Jun 8, 2011 at 9:19:19 pm

I am trying to make a shockwave. I have the animation prebuilt, but can seem to make the effect stay the same shape as the original once I add the displacement filter.
Once I add displacement to the original, then source it to the animation, it gets stretched and centered. (This is just a test for a future video I will do when making this effect with a gun shot)
I am trying to blow the base of this building, where the faint white shock wave circle it. But the displacement gets mapped to the center of the canvas, which you can also see in these images.
I just want the displacement to be identical to where I place the original shock wave animation.
What steps am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for any help!

Josh

An editor's work is never complete. It is only abandoned when time has been exhausted. - paraphrase from Leo da Vinci

Return to posts index

Josh PaulsonRe: Shockwave displacement
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:12:36 pm

Still haven't figured anything out. Here is a video to more clearly show what is going on. Also, I tried nesting the white shock wave in a full frame group and then sourcing that group to the distortion filter on the background thinking the placement information would carry over, but it is still centering it no matter where it is placed initially.

shockwave test

This seems like something simple I am missing?

Josh

An editor's work is never complete. It is only abandoned when time has been exhausted. - paraphrase from Leo da Vinci

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Shockwave displacement
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 3:06:45 pm

Take a look at this Reflections in Motion video tutorial, I think it will help.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2011 at 5:03:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but from what I gather in your tutorial is that I can only apply the distortion to the center of an image, video, or group. No matter what combination of grouping I trying I cannot seem to get around this, unless I position my actors gun in the dead center so the shock wave will line up correctly? Is there no way to reposition the distortion off from the center?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2011 at 5:12:45 pm

Re-watch the tutorial. You can have the displacement start wherever the "Map Image" is if you don't apply the Displace filter directly to the clip. I show a work around so I could have my reflection which is not dead center getting distorted. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2011 at 6:28:25 pm

Thank you so much for your help Stephen. I appreciate it a TON.

I think I am almost there! I placed the background into a group and placed the displacement filter to the group instead of the background image.

That blew up the distortion to the size of the canvas instead of the image size. Great!

new video of distortion shock wave with fixed resolution grouping

But here's where your tutorial and my dilemma are different, I think. You are able to move your affected object (video of fire) around within the canvas. My image is fixed. (Currently image of skyline, but will be video footage)

So there are controls to affect the vertical and horizontal distortion parameters, but I can't seem to move the distorted area off center without moving the footage from center. For this test, I'd like to move and scale it over to where the original shock wave video is over by the building on the left.
It's almost like the parameters for the distortion filter are missing a positioning control of some sort...?

Thank!

Josh

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2011 at 8:02:40 pm

OK, I started over again from scratch, and now it seems to move around. I placed a 0% opacity square (same size as canvas) in the same group as the original shock wave animation. Now it moves around and is shown in proper position in the displacement map on the bottom footage.

Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the original footage without losing the displacement. (I drop opacity to 0 and the displacement no longer appears)

Dropping it to source to 20 and bumping up the footage's vertical and horizontal doesn't bother me I guess...

Thanks for you help and patients Stephen!

Josh

Return to posts index

by on Jun 10, 2011 at 12:43:08 pm

And thank you for your patience as well!

Josh

Return to posts index

by on Jun 10, 2011 at 2:18:47 pm

Ah, I see what you mean by it always being in the center. Here is the work around:

If your clip fits the full screen then apply the Displace filter to the clip...other wise to the group that holds the clip. Create a new group. Apply your shockwave. Then move it to where you want it and scale it. As you now it will still place it in the center so here is the work around. If it is on the left create a shape on the right, make sure that shape's color is black so it will not effect the image. Drag the group that holds the shockwave and the shape into the Displace Filters Map Image. Last, Make sure the group with the shockwave has the Fixed Resolution box checked and then adjust the Fixed Width and Height so it works.

Here is an image that shows "my shockwave" moved to the far left:

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2011 at 9:22:32 pm

Hey Stephen,

I just wanted to share the trailer for the 48 hour film fest I did using this effect. It goes by pretty quick but I'm very pleased with the results. Someone else in the film fest must have also been reading this thread because I was not the only person to use this in the competition! :) Thanks!

Josh

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2011 at 9:51:37 pm

Looks cool, thanks for sharing. Will it be available to watch?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2011 at 12:44:09 pm

Have you ever seen a movie where you feel like all the best parts were already shown in the trailer? This is that. hahaha. I'll post a link for the full length soon.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2011 at 6:49:25 pm

That is why I love trailers. Have you posted it in the "Video-Reel" section on the COW?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2011 at 8:47:43 pm

No I haven't, but I will right now!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]