APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Reveal a logo

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Gordon
Reveal a logo
on May 20, 2011 at 10:57:19 am

I have a logo which has a triple loop the loop. and what I would like to do is have it covered up and then reveal it. I have used the paint tool to cover over it and then done a reverse to reveal but my problem happens when the loops cross over. It leaves the path of the upcoming loop instead of crossing over the path in the reveal.

Here is clip to show what I mean,

Thanks for any help / ideas

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
Re: Reveal a logo
on May 20, 2011 at 1:07:26 pm

I'm not quite sure what you're doing that would leave that hole in there or exactly how you're using the paint tool to cover it but here's what I would do.

Use the paint tool or a bezier tool to trace over the loops. Then apply a write-on effect to that object. Then make that layer the mask source for the loop part of your logo.

Check out this tutorial for starters:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/neil_andy/animate-text/video-tutori...

Now, unless you have the perfect bezier mask here is where you might run into problems... Where the loops cross, you'll have the opposite problem you have now - you'll see the crossovers of the loops before you want to see them. One way around this is to create another layer that is a garbage mask that covers the little parts you don't want to see and just set the out-point on the frame you want them to appear.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Peter Gordon
on May 21, 2011 at 12:04:04 am

The actual loops are already there in the logo. I simply put a paint line over the top, coloured it black and then erased and revealed. I will have a go at doing what you suggested... I think I understand what you mean. Thanks. It's just those cross over points when the loop backs onto itself which is causing the problem.

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on May 22, 2011 at 2:55:05 am

I get what you're doing now.... naaa I think you're going about it backward. You're erasing a black layer to reveal what's behind it. You should be animating a paint stroke and making that your mask source. Start over from scratch (almost) by following that tutorial I posted and you'll see what I mean about the tiny little garbage mattes you'll have to create that are only on for a few frames.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Peter Gordon
on May 27, 2011 at 9:18:39 am

Andrew,

I worked out my problem... I had been doing the paint line as one complete line rather than a series of lines. I got it working using the technique you suggested. Thanks alot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]