APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

5DmkII and theatrical projection

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brandan dennehy
5DmkII and theatrical projection
on May 8, 2011 at 11:05:46 pm

So we are gearing up for a film and the chosen format (at least for two of the cameras) is the 5DmkII. We have done shows before with this camera but always with the web as the final destination. Know that we will not have film out or DCP we will most likely be playing from HDCAM SR on 2k projectors (4k when available). My concern is that this is the first time we will be seeing 5D footage on the big screen and I want to be sure that we do everything right to make it shine. We will do all of our normal on set work and then transcode to ProRes for the edit... but from there I wonder if there is anything else we should do for our final output. My concern is that when we see the film projected there is going to be something (I don't know what) that we will see that was avoidable in the work flow. Artifacting, softness,... something. Does anyone have any experience with 5D footage for digital projection?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 5DmkII and theatrical projection
on May 9, 2011 at 12:36:59 am

That's a pretty general question and we know nothing about your post chain. Why don't you finish a test shoot to the way you intend to post and see what it looks like projected. That's what the big boys do...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

brandan dennehy
on May 9, 2011 at 5:43:50 am

We are shooting a test, I suppose my question was more along the lines of has anyone finished for theatrical presentation and if so what was their workflow?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 9, 2011 at 4:02:16 pm

I just finished work on a documentary, here is a link to the trailer for Boys of Bonneville. I've also done some 2k stuff for a theater. Both are different. Since you are shooting in HD and the final output is HD you workflow should be what you are used to. This question gets asked a lot in the Final Cut Pro forum. I recommend you check it out, unless you are asking about a motion graphics workflow with Motion. Not sure if I was any help. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]