APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Issue with Illustrator file

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael W. Towe
Issue with Illustrator file
on May 1, 2011 at 2:46:29 pm

Hey Folks,

I had a bit of an issue with an Illustrator file and I am wondering if anyone has seen it before and can offer up a suggestion.

I have a project with an Illustrator file I received from a client. The file came to me as a .eps and I opened in Illustrator and saved out as a .ai When I use this file in Motion I experience real problems when exporting out a movie. Basically the render starts fine but will then hit a point where it just hits a wall and the frames don't advance. Sometimes it's 100 frames in sometimes just a few frames.

I went through a process of layer elimination to figure out it was the Illustrator file that was causing the issue. I have since rasterized the file in Photoshop and just used a bitmapped version but that's obviously not the most optimal way.

A few other things I noticed that may help is that if I just import the motion file into Final Cut it will render there with the Illustrator file in it. So it seems to only happen in Motion. Also when looking at the processors during the export in Motion, via iSTAT menu, when it hangs it appears to just be using one processor at a time at full throttle.

Quick System Specs:
Dual Quad core Mac Pro (2 x 2.4 GHz Quad Core Xeon)
12 Gigs of Ram
ATI 5870 graphics
Motion 4

Any suggestions from any of you that may have experienced this before would be great.

Mike

Michael W. Towe
President M2 Digital Post
http://www.m2digitalpost.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Issue with Illustrator file
on May 2, 2011 at 1:27:50 am

Yeah Motion used to be friendlier with Illustrator files- now not so much. Simplify to the elements you really need in Photoshop at just high enough resolution so you don't overwhelm your system.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 2, 2011 at 2:44:01 pm

I have found that setting the project to "Best" can cause the problem you are having. Try setting the export to "Normal" and see if it works.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Michael W. Towe
on May 2, 2011 at 3:07:44 pm

First off thanks for the replies! I have tried setting it to normal and it is rendering however it hits a point an becomes VERY slow. I am now assuming that this is probably happening with the "Best" setting too, it just appears to lock up because it's taking forever to render a frame.

I gotta say this really bums me out that Motion is having trouble with Illustrator files. Coming from years of working in After Effects I find I like the interface, as well as behaviors, in Motion much better. I would really like to make it my default motion graphics package. But this issue may kill that hope. I do so much with Illustrator files of clients logo and need vector graphics capabilities.

Thanks again for your responses!

Mike

Michael W. Towe

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 3, 2011 at 9:39:29 pm

Yup sorry- it's optimized for bitmap not vector work.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Michael W. Towe
on May 4, 2011 at 6:09:12 am

I guess it just means a different mode of thinking when working in Motion, and hoping they fix that in a future release.

Thanks again for the replies!

Mike

Michael W. Towe

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on May 8, 2011 at 12:22:14 am

Well, the processor issue has to do with the way Motion was written..

I don't know if this will work - under the media tab in motion, select your file and press F4 (for the objects tab of the inspector.) Turn off FIxed resolution, which will mean it's the same as constantly rasterizing in AE.

Might not make a difference.....but then again....

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]