APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Anybody ever refracted video?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ann Danylkiw
Anybody ever refracted video?
on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:10:23 pm

Hi,

I'm doing some retro style stuff and wondering if anybody has ever refracted video like-n to Lomography style still photography?

So imagine this image is a frame in a video:

where each panel would play. Essentially, mixing up the video or refracting it into 4 panels.

My thinking is to bring the video in 4 times, and mask each, rearrange it. But this seems like it would be really GPU heavy. Motion likes to crash my Mac a lot.

My question is this: what's the least GPU heavy way to do it?

Thanks, Ann

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Anybody ever refracted video?
on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:21:24 pm

If you are going to have multiple clips in a "box" I would add a mask to a group and place the clip inside the group. Then you can move the clip around to where you like it...and then add another clip to play after the first one and not have to do a mask again.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Apr 19, 2011 at 9:19:10 pm

I would do it in a way you have explained it. Mask the video and arange it in a way you like. Anyway if you are looking to stylise your video see my tutorial on embryo.me.uk about crossprocessing. Use only chunk of video you need for your animation. As you have said motion does not like to handle a massive video files. Maybe use Prores codec, not HQ just Prores. File will be small while retaining the quality.

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Apr 19, 2011 at 9:20:02 pm

I would do it in a way you have explained it. Mask the video and arange it in a way you like. Anyway if you are looking to stylise your video see my tutorial on embryo.me.uk about crossprocessing. Use only chunk of video you need for your animation. As you have said motion does not like to handle a massive video files. Maybe use Prores codec, not HQ just Prores. File will be small while retaining the quality.

Return to posts index

Ann Danylkiw
on Apr 19, 2011 at 9:53:02 pm

I've actually already been through your tutorial and was planning on styling it as such! LOL! Yes! Thank you because your tutorial gave me the idea that I could do something like this!

I like your artistic aesthetic and hope you do more tutorials!

xa.

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Apr 20, 2011 at 9:39:07 am

Thank you. I try my best. I also like to have some more tutorials made. It is however difficult to make the time as Paid work always comes first. Good luck with you work. Z

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Apr 20, 2011 at 6:53:40 am

The way you describe it - 4 copies of the clip, each with a mask applied - would be the most obvious, straightforward and flexible way of doing it in just about any compositing system. If you want to avoid using masks, though, then you could use the Crop parameter on each instance of the clip to trim its width. Masks would be by far the best way of working, though.

Return to posts index

Ann Danylkiw
on Apr 20, 2011 at 10:06:59 pm

yeah, so I did it late last night, and it's up.

http://www.vimeo.com/22632812

happy for any critiques.

xa.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Apr 21, 2011 at 6:49:01 am

Looks fine. Maybe I'd want a bit of differentiation between each panel with a colour tint or something, but that's just a taste thing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]