APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Scrolling Text Title

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Gordon
Scrolling Text Title
on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:55:36 am

I am attempting to have a title in Motion scroll through the years from 1960 - 1985 with the digits (the last column) scrolling upward off the top of the screen and I want it to pause for a second or two between each scroll so that it locks on the year. When I try and animate this in Motion 3, I can't get it to lock / pause on the digit before scrolling up through to the next number.
I have created 3 different individual text boxes. The first has 19 and then the second text box I have

long ways in a column...
and then for the last numbers that will change the most I have

I figured animating the text to move upward would be the best way? Any better ways greatly appreciated or best way to animate so it pauses for a certain time before moving again would be very helpful. I am using motion 3.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
Re: Scrolling Text Title
on Apr 18, 2011 at 7:05:24 am

How are you animating it? With keyframes or behaviours? It's a 2-minute job using keyframes, you're just animating the Y position :

Counter test

The keyframe pattern looks like this:

Return to posts index

Peter Gordon
on Apr 18, 2011 at 8:42:41 am

Thanks Gareth that is the effect I am going for....

I used key frames but ran into problems with the change of year to 1970 and then 1980 as I also had changed the angle of the text in z space so it sits on an angle back into the screen - this caused the scale of the decade column and years column with the numbers to change...and not look correct. I started with 1960 as a single text box in the middle of a tv screen and then zoomed into the tv and as I got closer the 1960 "peeled" back on an angle...this is where I couldn't figure out how to cross over from the single text box to the current set Up with the 3 columns... Hope that makes sense! Sorry for teh long winded explanation.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Apr 19, 2011 at 6:25:59 am

Hi Peter,

I would probably not bother having to switch from a single text layer to three layers. Build it as three layers from the start, and slant all the columns back in Z-space at the same time by adjusting the X rotation value of the parent group.

Making the 6 change to 7 is just a matter of keyframe placement:

Counter test 2

Kudos to Anders for his heads-up about the "Progressive" keyframe repeat option. I wasn't aware of that before :)

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Apr 18, 2011 at 11:28:46 am

In fact you only have to keyframe the first movement, then click the disclosure triangle next to the "y"-parameter and choose "After last keyframe -> Progressive"

A picture is better the 100 words, så here you can see what I mean.

happy keyframing

Return to posts index

Peter Gordon
on Apr 18, 2011 at 11:41:12 am

Hi Andrew,

Does the progressive allow you to control the timing... as the dates will be going at different times or do you simply modify these in the keyframe editor?

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:58:58 am

When using progressive, you can't modify the individual instances of the movement, but can "bake" the motion into keyframes by selecting "Generate keyframes"
That way you can use "Progressive" to make all the keyframes for you, so you don't have too set each one individually.

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Apr 19, 2011 at 8:15:22 am

A completely different approach would be to use behaviors to achieve your effect.

Keyframes vs. behaviors is a matter of preference, pick the solution you like best. if you are new to Motion the whole keyframe thing might seem a little daunting, and this fairly simple move is easily achieved using the throw behavior.

Just add "Throw" to your "1 2 3.." object, set in and out of the behavior, and adjust Y parameter of the "Throw velocity" to make it move as far as needed.
When that is done you can duplicate the behavior as many times as you need and drag the copies down the timeline to where you want the move to happen.

To me this solution seems a little less elegant tan keyframing, but it gives a better overview of what you are doing right in the timeline.

Here are a cuple of pics of what I mean:

Return to posts index

Peter Gordon
on Apr 20, 2011 at 5:11:53 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your input and ideas.... as you have probably figured I am new to motion and am doing lots of trial and error at the moment. Both your insights have helped considerably. Thanks again. (By the way the screenshots of what you are talking about makes it so much easier to work out so thanks for those too).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]